Construction Law in Louisiana
- Construction Training Seminar
Minimize Liability for Your Construction Clients
Your construction clients are making decisions every day that have the potential to put their companies at serious financial and legal risk. Do you have the hard legal facts and practical knowledge necessary to minimize their liability? In this comprehensive, Louisiana-specific construction law program, experienced attorney faculty will provide detailed guidance on Louisiana public bid law, licensing requirements, surety, insurance and much more. Know your clients' rights and responsibilities as defined by the latest legislation and court cases, prepare legally sound contracts and confidently handle construction lien issues. Register today!
- Learn Louisiana construction law licensing requirements and violations.
- Ensure your client is fully protected with cutting-edge tips and tactics on proper risk allocation.
- Identify how to strategically interpret construction contracts and identify red flags.
- Determine the real impact of change directives and ways to mitigate the consequences.
- Establish a comprehensive understanding of Louisiana bid law, including bidder’s responsibilities and owner’s rights.
- Review how to handle common surety and insurance issues regarding Louisiana private and public works.
- Gain insight on claim strategy from experienced construction attorneys who regularly handle claim disputes.
- Learn how to quickly identify if a claim exists against a design professional.
- THE PARTIES IN THE CONSTRUCTION PROCESS
9:00 - 9:35, Andrew G. Vicknair
- The Owner
- The Architect/Engineer/Construction Manager
- LICENSING REQUIREMENTS
9:35 - 10:10, Andrew G. Vicknair
- Who Needs Licensing?
- Licensing Requirements and Violations
- CONTRACT INTERPRETATION AND MODIFICATION: ISSUES AND OPTIONS
10:25 - 11:15, Jessica R. Derenbecker and Andrew G. Vicknair
- Prescription/Statues of Limitation
- Oral or Written Contracts
- Change Orders
- Payment Clauses
- General Contract Rules
- LOUISIANA PUBLIC BID LAW
11:15 - 12:00, Jeffrey K. Prattini
- Responsibility of Bidder
- Irregularities in Bids
- Owner’s Right to Reject Bids
- Unsuccessful Bidder’s Remedies
- Bid Protests
- SURETYSHIP AND INSURANCE
1:00 - 1:40, Elizabeth L. Gordon
- Suretyship Defined
- Other Relationships Distinguished
- Form of Contract
- Louisiana Private and Public Works
- Federal Projects
- Commercial General Liability
- Builder’s Risk
- Workers’ Compensation
- CONSTRUCTION LIEN LAW
1:40 - 2:15, Adrian A. D'Arcy
- Private Works Act
- Public Works Act
- IDENTIFYING AND EVALUATING A CLAIM
2:30 - 3:00, Adrian A. D'Arcy and Andrew G. Vicknair
- Can the Claim be Proven
- Documenting the Claim
- Claim Strategy and Tactics
- CLAIMS AGAINST DESIGN PROFESSIONALS
3:00 - 3:30, Andrew G. Vicknair
- Does a Claim Exist?
- Theory of Claim
3:30 - 4:30 Daniel Lund III
- Conflicts of Interest
- Client Confidentiality
- Ethical Practice in Construction