A Comprehensive Guide to Personal Injury Law and Procedure
Are you up-to-date on important information that can affect your personal injury practice? When was the last time you spent a day in open discussion and knowledge exchange with colleagues who are dealing with the same situations you are? This authoritative course will provide you with the foundational information and skills essential to starting or staying on top of your practice. From determining lien priority to expert examination, our distinguished faculty will take you through the latest court rulings and time-tried litigation strategies. Don't miss this opportunity to build your skills - enroll today!
- Stay abreast of the latest developments in the personal injury legislative and procedural trends.
- Effectively handle liens to ensure successful settlement negotiation.
- Know what additional sources of coverage can be found.
- Get tips for staying up-to-date on the latest developments in medical science and procedure and enrich your database of reference sources.
- Review the key court rulings on damage awards and analyze which tactics worked and which ones didn't.
- Learn the ropes: get a detailed walkthrough of local court procedure.
- Explore how the courts have interpreted and applied the Daubert decision lately, and become more effective in selecting and qualifying experts.
- Learn how to make a lasting impression by correctly and effectively introducing evidence at trial.
- Understanding the Law of Damages
9:00 - 9:45, Daniel Back
- Economic Damages
- Non-Economic Damages
- Wrongful Death and Survival Claims
- Personal Injury Settlements
9:45 - 10:30, Daniel Back
- Negotiation Techniques
- Mediation as a Settlement Tool
- Subrogation Interests
- Structured Settlements
- Understanding the Joint Tortfeasor Release and Other Releases
10:45 - 11:30, Daniel Back
- Medical Bills
- Lost Wages
- Loss of Consortium
- Pain and Suffering
- Medical Records in Case Law
11:30 - 12:30, Daniel Back
- By Authorizations, Subpoenas
- Scope of What's Discoverable
- Using Them in Motions, Depositions and at Trial
- Admissibility and Confidentiality Issues
- Keeping Up with the Latest News of Medical Science
- How to Keep Up with the New Procedures, Drugs, Regulations, Recalls
- Useful General Medical Reference Resources
- New Trend of Defensive Medicine
- Standing on Ethical Ground
1:30 - 2:30, Daniel Back
- Rules of Professional Conduct
- The Tripartite Relationship Among Insured, Insurer and Counsel
- Conflicts of Interest
- Attorneys' Fees and Charges
- Dealing with the "Excess Claim"
- Insurance, Liens and Subrogation
2:30 - 3:30, Blake Shuart
- First-Party Benefits (No-Fault Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and Additional Personal Injury Protection (A-PIP); Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage)
- Tortfeasor's Coverage: Determining Coverage, Excess Coverage, Other "Deep Pockets" (e.g. Respondeat Superior)
- Medicaid/Medicare Liens
- Hospital Liens
- Workers' Compensation Liens
- Determining Priority and Negotiating the Value of Liens
- Presentation of Evidence
3:45 - 4:30, Timothy J. King
- Use of Charts and Diagrams
- Use of Medical Texts and Videotapes
- Use of PowerPoint Presentations