Current Legal and Regulatory Challenges for HR Webinar
Time: 11:30 AM PDT | 02:30 PM EDT
Duration: 90 Minutes
Instructor: Cathleen Hampton
Are you at risk for non-compliance? Is your company a lawsuit waiting to happen? Let´s face it, much of what is done by HR professionals include litigation avoidance, legal compliance and ensuring that the rights of employees aren´t violated. Last year, $372.1 million was collected by the EEOC enforcement towards monetary damages, the highest recovery yet made in agency history. Equally as noteworthy, for the last three years, the EEOC reported a record number of claims filed by employees.
When employers aren´t properly prepared to handle issues at the workplace, companies might face problems such as - settlements, litigations, discrimination suits, legal costs, employee turnover, unplanned expenses, moral issues and negative community image.
Why Should you Attend:
Irrespective of your organization being small or large - it is imperative to possess the right knowledge of HR practices and employment laws, as they are crucial for the success of your business. With innumerable number of employment laws and issues, you could be easily confused. This session will discuss how to deal with confusing, tough, and touchy human resource situations and how to apply employment laws correctly.
Objectives of the Presentation:
- Understanding the difference between incivility and illegality
- Reviewing the difference between case law and statutory law
- Who enforces civil rights law and what are the most common issues?
- What is and what is not considered a protected class?
- Reviewing laws concerned with civil rights protections
- Overview of the theories of employment discrimination
- The most important issue for employers - sexual harassment and compensation
- What is a Hostile Work Environment?
- Retaliation and protected activities
- Employment at will vs. Due Process
- How to defend against employment discrimination?
- Other HR-related legal issues
- The complexity of compliance