Reviewing Loans and Mending Fences Webinar Time: 10:00 AM PDT | 01:00 PM EDT
Duration: 60 Minutes
Instructor: Jeffery W. Johnson
This program begins with a discussion of those macro economic, industry, business and management factors that must be considered as part of loan portfolio management then followed by examining the quality of credit file documentation, which includes an assessment of the Credit Memorandum and Loan Documentation; then, followed by a discussion on effective management tools required to navigate the financial institution through today´s challenges. Managing the loan portfolio in the face of these factors requires a different approach than in normal times. This two-hour program is designed for anyone with management responsibilities of a part or the entire financial institution´s Loan Portfolio.
Why Should you Attend
In the current economic environment, managing the commercial and consumer loan portfolio is paramount in order to maintain a safe and sound financial institution. The five regulatory agencies are becoming more demanding in their review of banks in light of the recent large bank failure that occurred on the west coast and the increased number of banks currently on their "Trouble Bank" list.
It has not been since the real estate market crisis experienced during the late 1980´s that bankers are forced to manage in such a tough market. We are now seeing the return of a similar real estate market collapse caused by stagnate newly constructed and existing real estate sales; subprime mortgage loans that are re-pricing and causing financial strain on consumers; higher fuel prices and its impact on the financial institution´s loan portfolio; increasing consumer debts and a return to the pre 2005 bankruptcy law rate of bankruptcy filings.
Objectives of the Presentation:
- Requirements for writing an effective Credit Memorandum
- Review of essential Loan Documentation procedures to ensure the financial institution´s collateral position is legally enforceable
- Review Financial Statement Analysis Techniques, Ratio Analysis and Cash Flow Analysis for commercial and industrial loans and commercial real estate loans in order to determine creditworthiness
- Review effective methods of performing an Internal Loan Review prior to the arrival of the regulators
- Review the importance of having an effective Loan Risk Rating System utilizing a clear, measurable and objective Loan Grading System
- Methodology required for calculating the allowance for loan and lease losses in accordance with FASB 5 and FASB 114 among other guidance