HIPAA Compliance Boot Camp
Implement Bulletproof HIPAA Compliance Plans
Strict requirements, ambiguous definitions, growing security threats and more can make HIPAA compliance a challenging endeavor - but the potential consequences pose an even greater danger. Do you or your clients handle medical records? Are you fully up to date on the numerous compliance traps and patient rights pitfalls? Don't risk severe fines, sanctions and suits. Learn how you - and your clients - can remain effective in everyday practice while ensuring full compliance with HIPAA in this comprehensive program. Register today!
- Explore the essentials of HIPAA, including protected health information definitions, patient rights and more.
- Pick up cutting-edge security techniques and technologies for protecting vulnerable electronic medical records.
- Know what is and is not permissible when using text messaging, email and other electronic forms of communication to discuss HIPAA-protected information.
- Examine how to properly request, utilize and dispose of HIPAA-protected documents in the litigation context.
- Discover how to protect against security threats, and learn how best to proceed in worst-case scenario breaches.
- Understand the numerous HIPAA-related pitfalls employers face - and how they can sidestep them.
- Stay on the safe side - discover security measures, bookkeeping tips and other tactics you can use to ward off compliance issues.
- Analyze the latest HIPAA enforcement trends and avoid the critical mistakes of others.
- HIPAA 101: Deciphering and Applying Key Regulations
9:00 - 9:45, Written by Doriann H. Cain. Presented by Doriann H. Cain in Indianapolis and H. Joseph Cohen in Fort Wayne.
- What HIPAA Covers
- Patient Rights Under HIPAA
- Protected Health Information (PHI) Defined
- Penalties Under HIPAA
- Keeping HIPAA-Protected Records Safe - Tips for Cautious Attorneys
9:45 - 10:45, Written by Stephen A. Riga. Presented by Stephen A. Riga in Indianapolis and H. Joseph Cohen in Fort Wayne.
- Documenting All Communications and Persons Contacted
- Electronic Medical Records
- Cloud Technology and Data Security
- Organizing and Reviewing Records
- Printing Records
- Storing and Destroying Medical Files
- Providing Proof of Appropriate Data Security Practices to Clients
- Conducting HIPAA Risk Assessments
- How HIPAA Relates to Electronic Communication
11:00 - 12:00, Written by Ashley N. Osak. Presented by Ashley N. Osak in Indianapolis and H. Joseph Cohen in Fort Wayne.
- "Reasonable" Safeguards: Ensuring They Meet HIPAA Definitions
- Text Messages and Mobile Devices: Ensuring Safeguards
- Email: Clarifying Gray Areas
- Recipients' Actions That Lead to Violations
- What if PHI Senders Cause a Violation?
- Ensuring IT, Electronic and Other Service Providers Protect PHI
- Handling Medical Record Confidentiality Breaches: Best Practices for Worst-Case Scenarios
1:00 - 1:45, Written by Doriann H. Cain. Presented by Doriann H. Cain in Indianapolis and H. Joseph Cohen in Fort Wayne.
- What Constitutes a Breach: With Examples
- Who Can be Held Negligent?
- Who Investigates the Breach?
- Conducting Critical Risk Assessments
- Documenting Decisions Concerning Potential Breaches
- Drafting Breach Notifications: With Examples
- Using HIPAA-Protected Documents in Litigation
1:45 - 2:30, Written by Laurie E. Martin. Presented by Laurie E. Martin in Indianapolis and Douglas D. Powers in Fort Wayne.
- Requesting Medical Records - How to do it Right
- Obtaining Court Orders When Authorizations are Unobtainable
- Situations Where no Authorization is Necessary
- Responding to Subpoenas and Discovery Requests
- Limitations on Use of Medical Records in Litigation
- What Happens to the Produced Medical Records After Litigation
- HIPAA Compliance for Employers: With Sample Policies and Procedures
2:45 - 3:15, Written by Laurie E. Martin. Presented by Laurie E. Martin in Indianapolis and Douglas D. Powers in Fort Wayne.
- HIPAA and Employer-Sponsored Healthcare Plans
- HIPAA and FMLA, ADA and Other Requests
- HIPAA and Wellness Programs
- How Employers Should Request Medical Records
- Health Risk Assessment and Genetic Information-Avoiding GINA Violations
- Who's a HIPAA Business Associate? How do You Know?
3:15 - 3:45, Written by Thomas R. Harper. Presented by Thomas R. Harper in Indianapolis and Douglas D. Powers in Fort Wayne.
- HIPAA Updates: What You Need to Know
3:45 - 4:30, Written by Thomas R. Harper. Presented by Thomas R. Harper in Indianapolis and Douglas D. Powers in Fort Wayne.
- Analyzing the Latest HIPAA Enforcement Trends
- New Guidance on Patient Rights to Access
- HIPAA and Firearms Background Checks
- New HIPAA Audit Program