HR Legal Compliance: Advanced Practice
An Advanced-Level Guide to HR Legal Complexities
When everyday HR issues become complicated, do you have the advanced grasp of employment law practices and HR procedures necessary to bring about successful resolutions? Gracefully handling these situations not only reduces the chances of employee lawsuits, but also builds your professional reputation. This advanced guide to HR law will give you the skills you need to tackle employee leave complexities, internal investigation complications, workplace special event landmines and more. Take your HR legal knowledge to the next level - register today!
- Decontaminate toxic handbook policies before they turn into festering legal liabilities.
- Strategically keep payroll costs in check in light of recent FLSA changes.
- Handle complicated leave-of-absence issues, including intermittent FMLA leave.
- Conduct ironclad internal investigations that protect against future legal liabilities.
- Sidestep documentation pitfalls that lead to discrimination claims or other legal nightmares.
- Include legal prevention strategies in the workplace party planning process.
- Protect your organization against critical Affordable Care Act penalties.
- Handbook Complexities: Updating Policies to Mitigate Legal Liabilities
9:00 - 10:00, Catherine A. Cano
- Data Privacy
- Disability Accommodation and Attendance
- Discrimination/Harassment, Including LGBT Considerations
- Off-Duty Criminal Activity
- Social Media Policies
- NLRB Concerns
- Drugs and Alcohol, Including Legalized Marijuana
- FLSA and Wage and Hour Laws: Ensuring HR Practices Comply with Major Changes
10:15 - 11:15, Catherine A. Cano
- Salary Threshold and Primary Duty Test: New Compliance Requirements
- Avoiding Misclassification Dangers, Including Independent Contractors
- Keeping Labor Costs the Same as Before: Legal Best Practices
- Conducting Internal Wage and Hour Audits: Spotting Red Flags
- Updating Policies and Procedures
- Other Essential Legal Changes
- Employee Leave and Absences: Handling Complicated FMLA, ADA and Workers' Compensation Issues
11:15 - 12:15, Raymond R. Aranza
- Intermittent FMLA Leave and How to Curb Abuse
- Terminating Employees on FMLA Leave
- Investigating Employee Absences: Social Media and Other Tools
- Return-to-Work Issues, Including Crucial Documentation
- Mitigating Chances for Interference, Discrimination and Retaliation Claims
- Advanced Internal Investigation Strategies: Reducing the Risk of Expensive Legal Challenges
1:15 - 2:15, Raymond R. Aranza
- Conducting Internal Investigations: Key Pitfalls to Avoid
- Documenting Investigations for Trial Purposes
- Analyzing Investigation Results: Are Lawsuits Lurking Around the Corner?
- How Plaintiff Attorneys Spot Investigation Cracks - And Make Them Bigger
- Discipline and Termination Essentials to Avoid Problems Down the Road
- Essential Investigation Strategies: Discrimination, Harassment, Retaliation, etc.
- Overcoming Employer Documentation Challenges: Ensuring Legally Defensible Paper Trails
2:30 - 3:15, Catherine A. Cano
- The Importance of Specifics: What Documentation Must Contain
- The Top Phrases You Should Never Use
- Documentation Red Flags That Scream "Discrimination"
- Email Documentation: Avoiding Legal Nightmares
- Defusing Workplace Party and Special Event Legal Landmines
3:15 - 4:00, Rhianna A. Kittrell
- Avoiding Wage and Hour Claims
- Navigating Workers' Compensation Issues
- Overconsumption of Alcohol - Avoiding Potential Problems
- Ensuring Sexual Harassment Doesn't Happen
- Religious, Racial and National Origin Discrimination Issues
- Insurance Coverage Concerns for Legal Incidents
- ACA Compliance: Avoiding Critical Pitfalls
4:00 - 4:30, Ari D. Riekes
- Written Notice Requirements: What They Must Contain
- Applicable Large Employer Compliance Mistakes
- Employer Notice Program and Appeals
- ACA Reporting Requirements: Navigating Forms 1095-C and 1095-B
- Avoiding Cadillac Tax Landmines