Troubleshoot Problems in Auto Injury Cases with Tips From Experienced Litigators
UM/UIM coverage, medical bill disagreements, subrogation hassles...the auto injury litigation process is packed with problems for both sides. Do you know how to power past these pain points and come out ahead? In this full-day program, seasoned attorneys will provide pointers for overcoming common challenges and gaining the advantage when the odds seem stacked against you. Get the best auto injury settlement or judgment for your client - register today!
- Detangle the complexities of UM/UIM claims and coverage.
- Apply the collateral source and reasonable value rules to your advantage.
- Gain tips for handling sticky government claims against the settlement.
- Delve into bad faith dilemmas for auto insurers, including time-limited policy limits demands.
- Explore top legal ethics challenges in auto injury litigation.
- Unveil and overcome unfavorable juror biases with practical trial techniques.
- UM/UIM Coverage Conundrums and Negotiating with Difficult Adjusters
9:00 - 10:00, Lakota R. Denton
- UM/UIM Coverage Complexities
- Multiple Policies, Stacking and Set-Offs
- Conflict of Laws: PIP, UM, UIM, etc.
- Low Limits
- Coverage Denials
- Lowball Offers by Adjusters
- Insurance Adjusters Discounting Medical Bills
- Intentional Delay Tactics
- Text Messages, Doctors, Collateral Sources and More: Discovery and Evidence Snags
10:15 - 11:15, Lenneka H. Feliciano
- Getting all Needed Medical Records and Bills in a Timely Manner
- IME Problems
- Preexisting Conditions: Causation Proof and Doctor Testimony
- Causation Proof in Low/Moderate Impact Cases
- Counteracting Biomechanical Expert Testimony
- Medical Bills: Evidence of Reasonable Value and Admissibility of Collateral Sources
- Authenticating Texts and Social Media Posts
- Evidence of Drug/Alcohol/Prescription Drug Use
- Liens, Subrogation and Damages: Troubleshooting Key Problems
11:15 - 12:15, Paul Tharp
- Uncertain Law When Dealing with Third-Party Claims
- Hassles with Medical Care Providers’ Liens
- Subrogation Interests/Negotiation Difficulties
- Medicaid Lien, Medicare Lien and MSA Headaches
- Future Medical Cost Disagreements
- Diminished Future Earning Capacity Complications
- The Problem of Proving Pain and Suffering
- Monies in Excess of the Policy Limits
- Jury Trial Complexities
1:15 - 2:15, Lakota R. Denton
- Jury Selection/Voir Dire: Unraveling Juror Bias
- CRPS, TBI, etc.: Explaining Complex and Controversial Injuries
- Juror Attitudes in Soft Tissue or Minimum Impact Cases
- Exhibit Quandaries
- Cross-Examining the Difficult Witness
- Addressing Damages at Trial: Dilemmas for Both Sides
- Bad Faith Quandaries in Auto Injury Litigation
2:30 - 3:30, Mitch Baker
- The Blurred Line Between Negligence and Intentional/Reckless Conduct
- Time-Limited Policy Limits Demands
- Unusual Acceptance Conditions in the Demand
- Investigation Problems: Too Far vs. Not Far Enough
- Delays and Low Settlement Offers: Defining "Unreasonable"
- Multiple Claimants, Minimal Limits
- Hotly-Contested Claims and Case Law
- Legal Ethics Dilemmas
3:30 - 4:30, Mitch Baker
- Conflicts of Interest Predicaments
- Insurance Defense Counsel Relationship with the Insured and Insurer
- Ethical Problems in Litigation and Settlements
- Attorney Fees and Client Trust Accounts
- Challenges of Preserving Client Confidentiality
- Legal Marketing and Advertising