Adeptly Handle Governmental Legal Matters
Are you up to speed on local government law? Examine the disputes and challenges municipalities are currently faced with and listen as experienced faculty share their strategies and techniques for dealing with them. Get the information you need to prevent and resolve government problems - register today!
- Stay up to date on newly developing cases and legal issues in government law.
- Ensure compliance with public records access and retention laws.
- When do open meeting laws apply? Find out what situations and email communications constitute a public meeting.
- Avoid employment disputes: know what personnel policies municipalities should and shouldn't have.
- Examine the ethical considerations involved in public disclosure of government actions.
- Discuss the current challenges facing budget committees and the legalities surrounding creative cuts and allocations.
- Know the laws regarding government immunity and employee protections from costly lawsuits.
- OPEN MEETING LAWS
9:00 - 10:00, Written and Presented by Lawrence E. Flynn in Greenville and Tameika Isaac Devine in Columbia.
- Overview of the Law and to Whom it Applies
- Required Content of Meeting Notices
- Exceptions to the Rule
- Email Communications
- PUBLIC RECORDS ISSUES
10:15 - 11:15, Written and Presented by Joel M. Deason in Greenville and Stafford J. McQuillin III
- The Public's Right to Access Records - and Exceptions to the Rule
- The Law Regarding Retention, Maintenance and Disposing of Public Records
- Issues with Electronic Records Retention
- Developing a Public Records Policy
- HUMAN RESOURCES ISSUES
11:15 - 12:15, Written and Presented by D. Michael Henthorne in Greenville and Joseph D. Dickey Jr. in Columbia.
- New Developments in Employment Law
- Conducting Successful Employee Investigations
- Protecting Your Employees' Privacy Rights
- Improving Your Personnel Policies
- A CURRENT LOOK AT GOVERNMENT IMMUNITY
1:15 - 2:15, Written and Presented by C. Lance Sheek in Greenville and Columbia.
- Overview of §1983 Litigation
- Types of Immunities
- Common Causes of Action
- Popular and Effective Defenses
- The Latest Evidentiary Considerations
- BUDGETS AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT LEGALITIES
2:15 - 3:15, Written and Presented by Michael E. Kozlarek in Greenville and Columbia.
3:30 - 4:30, Written and Presented by Michael E. Kozlarek in Greenville and Columbia.
- Privileged vs. Public Communications
- Conflicts of Interest
- Whistle Blowing: Duty to Report?
- Representing Clients After Public Service