Strategically Use the Top Estate Planning Tools
The estate planning process is often charged with emotion and filled with legal confusion for clients. Attorneys not only need in-depth familiarity with the top estate planning tools, but also need to know how to strategically use them to their best effect if they want to build their reputations as go-to practitioners. In this comprehensive overview of top estate planning tools, our experienced faculty will go over how to strategically use wills, trusts, advanced directives and more. No matter if you are new to the estate planning arena or are an experienced practitioner in need of a refresher, you are sure to take away valuable techniques you can use to provide maximum benefit to your clients - register today!
- Create wills that prevent future conflict and confusion.
- Ensure you are using the right trust structure when setting up revocable living trusts.
- Make sense of IRS rules regarding retirement benefit planning.
- Take advantage of portability, step-up basis and other essential tax minimization tactics.
- Preserve access to public benefits when creating special needs trusts.
- Gain critical insights on durable financial powers of attorney.
- Make sure healthcare wishes are clearly stated in advance medical directives.
- Will Strategies to Prevent Conflict and Confusion
8:30 - 9:30, Bobbi L. Thury
- Distribution of Assets
- Disinheriting Individuals
- No Contest Clauses
- Avoiding Mistakes That Invalidate Wills
- Revocable Living Trust Tactics
9:45 - 10:45, Bobbi L. Thury
- Choosing the Right Trust Structure
- Asset Protection
- Beneficiary Protection
- Minimizing Estate Taxes
- Pour-Over Wills
- Tax Minimization Tactics: Portability, Step-Up Basis and More
10:45 - 11:45, Travis Benson
- Federal Tax Planning
- State Tax Planning
- Portability Essentials
- Step-Up Basis Must-Haves
- Credit Shelter Trusts
- Retirement Benefit Planning Techniques
12:45 - 1:15, Lindsay M. Harris
- Understanding IRS Rules
- Beneficiary Designations
- Tax Apportionment Clauses and Retirement Benefits
- Drafting IRA Trusts
- Special Needs Trusts (SNTs) and ABLE Account Strategies
1:15 - 2:00, Lindsay M. Harris
- Choosing the Right Vehicle
- Preserving Access to Public Benefits
- Essential Wording in Light of Restrictions
- ABLE Accounts vs. SNTs: When to Use
- ABLE Account Updates: What You Need to Know
- Durable Financial Powers of Attorney Insights
2:00 - 2:30, Lindsay M. Harris
- Advance Directive Tips: Making Healthcare Wishes Explicit
2:45 - 3:40, Alexander C. Ellman
- Living Wills
- Medical Powers of Attorney
- Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) Orders, Do Not Intubate (DNI) Orders, etc.
- HIPAA Issues
- Ethical Considerations
3:40 - 4:40, Alexander C. Ellman
- Who is Your Client?
- Attorney Fees and Engagement Agreements
- Protecting Confidentiality in Storing Client Files and Electronic Communications
- Preventing Fiduciary Misconduct