How to Excel at Managing and Supervising People
You’ll learn ...
- To speak ... write ... communicate—clearly and tactfully
- To make the skills of today´s best supervisors second nature
- How to deal quickly and professionally with every performance problem
- To give criticism in a way that creates positive behavior—not resentment
- And much more!
Here´s the bottom line: To succeed in your expanding role, you´ve got to
get in tune with the times ... and keep one step ahead of the changes.
That means continually updating your skills and seeking out all the
freshest ideas, latest strategies and cutting-edge techniques you can get
your hands on. That´s where this intensive, hands-on workshop comes in. In
just two days, you´ll get the most up-to-the-minute information and
exciting discoveries available on how to manage change, motivate,
discipline, delegate, inspire, problem solve ... all the critical skills
you need to succeed as a supervisor.
Day one: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Add leadership to your
repertoire of skills
- Your leadership style: What´s good about it? What needs work?
- Firsthand advice on becoming a role model everyone looks up to
- How to give direction (not orders) so others jump into action
- Moving from the details to the big picture—a leadership must
- Serious about getting more done? It´s simple—delegate!
- Boss vs. buddy: Which are you to employees?
- What great leaders do to get people to follow
- Use the power of assertiveness to open lines of communication and get
Wear all your
supervisory hats successfully
- Avoid the 5 things that can derail even experienced supervisors
- Telecommuting, job sharing, flextime: What the books WON´T tell you about
managing today´s employees
- How to communicate the benefits of technology—rather than dwell on the
- Close the generation gap! How to get Boomers, Gen-Xers—everyone—to work
- Are you a leader still trapped in a boss´s mentality?
- Becoming a diversity champion—here´s where it all begins
Positive ways to
inspire, guide and lead
- Steps to conducting performance evaluations that improve behavior and
- Know which buttons to push to get employees to give their ALL
- Why supervisors often fail when giving criticism
- What´s personality got to do with performance? Plenty!
- The hidden reasons behind why employees do what they do—performance
- Ways bosses actually discourage employees from working harder
- Discover what employees need and expect from you
behaviors and attitudes
- Dealing appropriately with drugs, alcohol and other sticky personnel
- 6 ways to get problem employees to change
- Stop butting heads with employees who challenge you, know everything or
- Transforming "can´t do" attitudes to "can do"
- Lighting a fire under the employee who´s nice—but lazy
- The rules of managing people are changing—what you need to know and do now
- Zap negativity ... before it spreads out of control
Take command of
the creative process
- Good-by status quo: How to make new ideas part of every employee´s job
- Stuck on a stubborn problem? Innovative ways to find a quick solution
- Does your work environment encourage—or squelch—innovation?
- How to fit "dream space" into your employees´ workday
- How to train your brain to think in new and profitable ways
- Beyond the suggestion box—idea-generating tactics that work like magic
Day two: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Communicate like a leader
Business writing tips you can use now
to make sure your memos and e-mail messages get your point across
Become aware of credibility-robbing
speech habits—and eliminate them
Deliver bad news, say "No," turn down
Develop radar that instantly detects
when people misunderstand you
Listening "how-to´s" that make it
easy to connect with others
Communication traits employees look
for and admire in a leader
Ever get the feeling your feedback
goes in one ear and out the other? Here´s the solution
Recruit, hire and
develop great employees
Money´s the secret to getting good
employees to stay—WRONG!
Interviewing strategies for avoiding
bad hires that cost time and money
Inside the exit interview: The real
reasons why employees move on
The pros and cons of making
counteroffers when employees resign
Recruiting and hiring the best—an
expertise supervisors can and must develop
through change and transition
Positive ways to present change to
employees—and relieve anxiety
Your best options when employees
don´t see change the way you do
Poorly managed organizational change:
Do you recognize the tell-tale clues?
Kid-glove techniques for helping
employees see opportunity—not threat—in change
Put yourself in their shoes: 7 hard
facts about how employees really feel about change
supervisory tools to master now
How to define and organize priorities
and accomplish more than ever
What to do to detect—and
stop—employees who are fooling around on the Web and with e-mail
Self-management habits the most
successful supervisors practice daily
Maximizing the Internet ... a
supervisor´s best friend
Managing deadlines, time, projects
and priorities: Why make it harder than it has to be?
Smart tips for attracting the
favorable attention from higher-ups that you deserve
What drives today´s most successful
supervisors? The answers revealed
Questions to ask yourself to put your
job ... your career ... your future into focus
Got the "blahs"? How to get—and
stay—motivated on the road to supervisory success
Seminar Check-In: 8:15AM Seminar Program: 9:00AM - 4:00PM