Mistake-Free Grammar & Proofreading - Writing / Communications Training Seminar
A workshop that makes proofreading and grammar fun? Is that possible? You
bet. This program is based on the latest research on how adults learn. It's
fast-moving, so you stay interested. It's engaging, so you learn by doing. And
it's fun, so you happily give it your all. Mistake-Free Grammar & Proofreading
is nothing like the grammar classes you took in school. This workshop is
exciting, engaging, and truly effective in refreshing you on the basics of
In one fast-moving day, you'll learn:
- The grammar rules every professional must know
- All about capitalization and punctuation
- Painless proofreading
- Techniques for finding errors in numbers, prices, codes, dates, etc.
- Commonly misused words and how to use them correctly
- 6 key rules for subject-verb agreement
- And more!
Who should attend?
This training is critical for people who want their written communication to
It's ideal for managers, secretaries, technical writers, editors, and
- Have never received formal training in these core skills
- Have been out of school for a while and need to brush up
It's also great for anyone who uses English as a second language.
Memorable training with unforgettable results...
In this high-energy training, you'll try your luck with Blue Ribbon Bingo
… polish your usage skills with Grammar Bull's Eye … and "question the
answers" with Punctuation Jeopardy.
The result? The information comes alive for you. You easily see the
practical applications. And it sticks with you in a way that pure "book
learning" never can.
Mistake-Free Grammar & Proofreading
Basics of proofreading
- How to increase your proofreading speed —
without sacrificing accuracy
- Are you an editor or a proofreader? How to
determine which skill your job really requires
- Proofreading marks: learn what they are
and practice using them
- How to correct writing without changing
- Secrets for overcoming monotony and
staying alert when proofreading
- How to create distance from your work so
you can catch your own errors
Grammar rules to remember
- A review of basic grammar rules
- How to fix run-on sentences
- The rules of subject-verb agreement
- How to avoid sexist language
- Who vs. whom; me vs. myself — never be
- The 6 most frequently missed rules for
- How to use semicolons to improve the
flow of your sentences
- How and when to use colons
- When you should use quotation marks —
and when you shouldn't (By the way, does the period go inside or
outside the quotation marks?)
- Dashes and parentheses (Did you know
they are opposites?)
Usage and form
- When to use further/farther;
affect/effect; continual/continuous; and other frequently misused
- 150 commonly misspelled words (a
take-home list you'll use often!)
- Capitalization rules
- When to use numbers and when to use
words (50 or fifty?)
- A final quiz that will show how much
more skilled and confident you are!
Seminar Check-In 8:30 AM Seminar Class Time: 9:00 AM - 4:00
This course qualifies for 6 Basic Communication CPE credits. Certificates will be available 10 days after your
event has ended.