Your Fundamental Guide to Probate
So your client wants you to handle a probate case - do you know where to start? Do you know the proper procedures to use, as well as the law? At this seminar, our experienced faculty will give you detailed, step-by-step information to confidently and ably navigate the system. Gain the confidence you need to reach a favorable outcome for your client when litigating in probate court. Enroll today!
- Get a step-by-step walkthrough of a probate case complete with practice tips from seasoned practitioners.
- Implement a complete estate timetable in order to know what needs to be done - and when.
- Effectively guide the executor and the administrator through their various duties.
- Avoid problems arising from creditors' claims and insolvency with our powerful strategies.
- Know the secrets to confidently handling a spouse's elective share.
- Forestall disagreements between beneficiaries: adhere to the guidelines of precedence in case of intestacy.
- Get results for your client! Explore successful strategies for litigating in probate court.
- Follow thorough closing procedures so accounting is complete before distribution takes place.
- TAKING THE FIRST STEP: FILING AN ESTATE IN PROBATE COURT
8:30 - 9:10,
Gary K. Patton
- Small Estate - What it is and How to File
- Regular Estate
- The Estate Timetable - What You Need to do
- Proving the Will
- Challenging the Will
- UNDERSTANDING THE ROLE OF THE PERSONAL REPRESENTATIVE IN PROBATE
9:10 - 9:55, Gary K. Patton
- Duties of the Personal Representative
- Misconduct and/or Removal
- Compensation Guidelines
- Special Administration Issues
- MANAGING THE INVENTORY
10:10 - 10:50,
Breahn R. Vokolek
- Statutory Requirements and How They Affect Your Case
- Notice to Creditors, Beneficiaries and State Agencies - What is Required
- Collecting, Maintaining and Managing Assets
- Inventory Problems
- ADMINISTERING THE ESTATE EFFECTIVELY
10:50 - 11:35, Breahn R. Vokolek
- How to Respond to Creditors' Claims
- Managing the Estate Cash Responsibly
- Partial Distributions
- MAINTAINING AN ETHICAL BALANCE IN PROBATE PRACTICE
12:35 - 1:35,
Josh E. Dale
- Performing Competent Legal Services
- Identifying the Client
- Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
- Distinguishing Between Privileged and Non-Privileged Communication
- Establishing Reasonable Attorneys’ Fees
- DETERMINING IF SPOUSE'S ELECTIVE SHARE IS A REASONABLE OPTION
1:35 - 2:20,
David K. Holdsworth
- Homestead Allowance
- How to Determine the Elective Share Estate
- What are Spousal Rights and Personalty?
- Rights of Election
- Step-by-Step Procedure
- How to Satisfy the Elective Share
- LITIGATING THE CASE IN PROBATE COURT
2:35 - 3:20, David K. Holdsworth
- Explanation of Rules of Probate Procedure
- Declaratory Judgment
- How to Conduct Discovery
- What to do on Appeal
- UNCOVERING THE LAWS OF INTESTACY AND HOW THEY MAY APPLY
3:20 - 4:00,
William D. Stilley
- PUTTING THE CASE TO REST: CLOSING THE ESTATE
4:00 - 4:40, William D. Stilley
- Final Accounting
- Distribution of Estate to Beneficiaries
- Discharge of Fiduciary
- Tax Returns - What Needs to be Filed and When
This basic level seminar will provide those who have limited probate experience with tips on successfully handling a probate case. This comprehensive seminar will benefit:
- Trust officers
- Financial planners
- Estate planners
Agendas and Speakers may differ slightly depending on the location. Please
e-mail or call
a representative to obtain an agenda for a particular location.