Titles can be one of the stickiest issues when dealing with real estate. One little complication on the title can stall a promising transaction. Getting a solid foundation in title law can help you avoid most of the problems faced by real estate professionals.
This comprehensive seminar is a good way to get a fundamental knowledge of title law and learn how to make title problems a non-issue in your business. You´ll explore the basics of title law, like liens and encumbrances. Our expert faculty will take you through the title examination process, so you can identify potential problems before they arise. Put together an action plan for preparing the title opinion and dealing with title insurance. You´ll also get the knowledge you need to pave the way to a smooth transfer of title. Don´t miss this chance to get the basics you need to deal with titles!
- Explore the law of real estate titles including a review of current issues.
- Take a look at common - and not-so-common - liens and encumbrances.
- Identify the steps you need to take when doing a title examination.
- Find out how to make ethics a non-issue in your title practice.
- Get practical tips on conducting the title review.
- Discover ways to draft and negotiate effective title insurance policies.
- Learn how you can pave the way for a smooth transfer of title.
- Discuss the CLTA standard vs. ALTA extended coverage.
- ORIGIN OF REAL ESTATE TITLES IN CALIFORNIA
Helen Ghio, 9:00 - 10:00
- Spanish Missions, Pueblos, and Presidios
- Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo
- 1851 Act to Settle Private Land Claims
- Public Land Survey System
- CURRENT LAW OF REAL ESTATE TITLES
Helen Ghio, 10:15 - 11:30
- Means of Acquiring Title
- Types of Deeds
- Legal Requirements for an Effective Conveyance
- Deeds in Lieu of Foreclosure
- Adverse Possession
- Liens and Encumbrances
- Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions
- Easements vs. Licenses
- Mechanic´s Liens
- Judgment Liens
- Current Issues
- THE PROCESS OF TITLE REVIEW
Michael E. Dullea, 11:30 - 12:45
- Role of the Title Company
- Role of Attorney and Broker
- Reviewing the Preliminary Report
- Underlying Title Documents
- ETHICAL CONSIDERATIONS
Christopher H. Findley, 1:45 - 2:45
- Attorneys´ Fees
- Conflicts of Interest Multiple Representation
- Disclosure of Defects in Property
- TITLE INSURANCE
Michael E. Dullea, 3:00 - 4:30
- CLTA Standard vs. ALTA Extended Coverage
- The Insuring Provisions
- Exclusions from Coverage
- Conditions and Stipulations
- Schedule A - What Is Insured
- Schedule B Exceptions from Coverage
- Government Regulation of the Title Industry
Agendas and Speakers may differ slightly depending on the location. Please e-mail or call a representative to obtain an agenda for a particular location.