Ensure a Smooth Path to a New Life
Adoption is an emotional process for all the parties involved. Whether you represent the birth parents or the adoptive parents, your clients will be going through a stressful time and they need an impartial guide to help them through. You need to be on top of adoption law, as well as understand various adoption procedures and requirements. Are you prepared to assist your clients through this highly emotional time in their lives?
This program will give you the background you need to handle your adoption cases without unnecessary delays, ethical problems or surprises. Help clients walk through the adoption process by knowing applicable adoption laws. Advise knowledgeably on all options available to your clients. Be prepared to take necessary steps to terminate parental rights and know how to properly manage interstate or international adoptions. Tackle sensitive ethical issues and other problems that are unique in adoption situations.
- Help clients more ably by knowing the federal laws that affect adoptions.
- Get all the necessary adoption assistance for your clients, including tax credits.
- Advise wisely on the differences between private placements and agency adoptions.
- Comply with the notice and consent requirements for terminating parental rights.
- Ensure clients are adhering to the Interstate Compact on Placement of Children.
- Deal with U.S. Immigration and Naturalization when adopting an international child.
- Know your role in the interplay between social worker and guardians ad litem during the adoption process.
- Prepare for problems such as third-party challenges and dissolution of adoption.
THE ESSENTIALS OF ADOPTION LAW
Rajesh K. Kukreja, 9:00 - 9:30
- Understanding the Definitions: Who May Be Adopted
- Who May Adopt: Criteria and Qualifications
- Obtaining Necessary Adoption Assistance
- Helping Calculate Adoption Tax Credits
- Adhering to Federal Laws Affecting Adoptions
- The Impact of the Adoption and Safe Families Act of 1997
- Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act
- Additional Regulations: the Indian Child Welfare Act
- The Effects of the Howard Metzenbaum Multiethnic Placement Act of 1994
OFFERING THE DIFFERENT ADOPTION OPTIONS
Rajesh K. Kukreja, 9:30 - 10:00
- What Are Private Placement Adoptions?
- How Agency Adoptions Work
- Venue: Why Itīs So Important
- The Crucial Element of Consent
- Exploring Other Adoption Alternatives
- When and How to Use Independent Options
- Circumstances When Itīs Appropriate to Adopt An Adult
- Guidelines for Adopting Relatives
- Examining and Ensuring Foster Parent Rights
PROCEDURES FOR TERMINATING PARENTAL RIGHTS
Jennifer Ilene Holt, 10:15 - 10:45
- General Requirements That Need to be Considered
- Obtaining Confirmed Consent and Surrender of Birth Parents
- Properly Dealing With Notice Requirements
- Observing Guidelines Governing Involuntary Termination
- Where Complaints May Be Filed
- Issues Handled by State Common Pleas Courts
- When Default Proceedings May Move Forward
OVERCOMING INTERSTATE ADOPTION ISSUES
Seth Grob, 10:45 - 11:15
- What is the Interstate Compact on Placement of Children?
- Dealing With Conflicts Between State Laws
- Navigating Multistate Adoption Procedures
SOLVING OBSTACLES TO INTERNATIONAL ADOPTIONS
Virginia L. Frank, 11:15 - 12:00
- Making Clients Aware of Risks and Realities
- Locating A Child to Be Adopted: A How-to Guide
- Dealing With United States Immigration and Naturalization
- Adhering to State Laws Regarding Intercountry Adoptions
- Recognizing Legal Requirements of the Foreign Country Involved
- Crucial Steps Involving Birth Certificates and Citizenship
- Taking All The Right Steps for Finalization
- Practical Tips for Families Considering International Adoption
FOLLOWING ETHICAL GUIDELINES IN ADOPTION LAW
Jennifer Ilene Holt, 1:00 - 1:50
- Identifying Conflicts of Interest
- Confidentiality in Adoption Cases
- Guidelines for Setting Fair Attorney Fees
- Observing the Rules of Professional Conduct
PRACTICAL GUIDE THROUGH THE ADOPTION PROCESS
W. Thomas Beltz and Magistrate Evelyn Hernandez Sullivan, 1:50 - 3:15
- Preparation of Pre- and Post-Placement Reports
- The Interrelated Roles of Social Worker and Attorney
- Determining Fees and Expenses
- How to Conduct a Thorough Background Check
- The Adoption Home Study: A Look Into the Reality
- Working With Birth Parents What You Need to Do
- State and Local Services Available to All Parties Involved
- Medical Care and Insurance Coverage for Birth Mother and Child
- Responsibilities of the Guardian Ad Litem
- Unique Considerations When Adopting Special Needs Children
WHAT TO DO IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG
W. Thomas Beltz and Magistrate Evelyn Hernandez Sullivan, 3:30 - 4:30
- Rights of the Biological Parents vs. Adoptive Parents: Who Takes Precedence?
- Proving a Parent is Unfit in Contested Adoptions
- Tackling Third-Party Challenges
- Procedures for Dissolution of Adoption
- Withdrawal of Consent? Find Out What to Do Next
- Correctly Handling An Appeal of the Adoption Decree
Agendas and Speakers may differ slightly depending on the location. Please
e-mail or call a representative to obtain an agenda for a particular location.