You are under more pressure than ever to meet regulations and protect and control your organization’s financial assets!
One of the best ways to ensure your success is with solid policies and procedures. Join us for Developing & Implementing Accounting Policies & Procedures and you’ll learn how to quickly and accurately create a written set of accounting policies and procedures guaranteed to keep your organization at the forefront of success.
Protect and Control Your Organization’s Valuable Assets
As an accountant, your primary job is to protect and control your company’s assets. But you and your department simply cannot do this without clear, concise, and irrefutable rules in place that everyone in your company respects – and follows. When you attend this session, you’ll learn proven evaluation techniques for your internal systems to pinpoint exactly what critical directives you need to document so there are ZERO misunderstandings – including ones that could put your organization in jeopardy.
Ensure Your Compliance With Every Regulation – Especially Sarbanes-Oxley 404!
There are 1,001 regulations that govern the accounting process, but arguably none of them have ever been as scary, complex, and confusing as Sarbanes-Oxley. And, like every federal regulation, there are gray areas in the law that are potentially catastrophic for even the best-intentioned accounting professional. We’ll cover the ramifications of SOX for your accounting department and how you can write policies and procedures to protect your company in court if it should ever come down to it.
Sharpen, Streamline, and Maintain a More Effective Accounting System
In just one day with us, you’ll learn proven and practical risk-assessment tools that will enable you to examine all your accounting processes and show you how clearly written procedures will help your employees work faster and more accurately. What’s more, you’ll learn when and how often you should you revise your policies and procedures so you maintain the most effective system possible.
The Fastest and Easiest Way to Get It Done – Guaranteed!
To learn the proven-effective policy writing techniques you’ll get in one day with us could take a busy accounting professional like you weeks – or maybe even months to find on your own. That’s why we’ve created this accounting-specific seminar to teach you what you need to know quickly.
What You'll Learn:
- Get the straight facts about writing effective accounting policies and procedures
- Reduce or eliminate misinterpretation of your critical policies and procedures
- Spend less time writing policies and procedures
- Establish company goals and create a road map to reach them
- Feel more confident about covering legal issues like Sarbanes-Oxley
- Protect your organization from fraud
- Assert even more financial control over your company’s assets
- Develop and maintain accounting procedures that work flawlessly, even when you’re not around to enforce them
- Identify signals that tell you when a policy needs to be changed
- Overcome resistance to your new policies both in and out of your department
- Clearly explain the most complex accounting issues – such as FLSA or Sarbanes-Oxley – even to nonfinancial managers and supervisors
- Deal more effectively with employees, co-workers, or even bosses who refuse to comply with your new policies
- Find out how internal controls relate to your policies and procedures
- Find effective development styles that meet your organization’s unique needs
- Get hands-on experience writing policies and procedures BEFORE you start your own
Who Should Attend?
Accounting personnel, managers, supervisors, anyone who wants to better themselves
The Fundamentals of Why You Need Written Policies and Procedures
- Distinguish between "policy" and "procedure" – and why it’s critical to do so
- 7 essentials of highly effective policies and procedures
- The development cycle of written policies
- Tools to help you find your way through the complex world of accounting policies
- Understand how policies and procedures relate to the environment of internal controls
- Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002
- Understanding and evaluating internal controls using the COSO and COBIT framework
Pre-Writing Strategies: Plan Your Work– Work Your Plan
- First things first: determining the objectives of your manual
- How to establish – and agree upon – the scope of your written manual
- How to assemble a top-notch planning and writing team – who should be involved and who shouldn’t!
- Choosing the most effective approach for your team to collect information
Prioritizing your subject areas
- How to build an aggressive – but fair – timeline to finish the job
- Agreeing on your time/cost budget
Collecting Essential Information and Writing Effective Policies
- Identifying effective development styles that will work for your unique situation
- How to manage and sell your changes to your department and your company as a whole
- How to ensure you collect the exact information you need
- Key issues to always keep in mind if you’re going to automate your manuals
- How to keep your numbering systems simple and straightforward
- Scheduling and managing revisions and updates for all your policies and procedures
- How to understand the components of procedures
- Easy-to-use tricks professional writers use to eliminate fuzzy meanings in everything they write
- Identifying your reader and writing for the appropriate group
Powerful Writing Techniques That Guarantee Clarity and Conciseness
- Why write a first draft? What you’ll want to accomplish with it
- Formatting the policies & procedures
- HANDS ON ACTIVITY: Edit samples of accounting policies and procedures
- Better understanding the nature of accounting procedures and getting it all down on paper
- The “6 C’s” of successful writing
- Draft your own policy, draft your own procedure, and get immediate feedback from the group
- The seemingly impossible task of “writing like you talk” and still maintaining professionalism
- How to keep it simple – it’s harder than you think
Check-in 8:30 AM Class Begin: 9:00 AM Class End: 4:00 PM