Give Your Clients the Advice They Need
When people start a business, there are many factors that affect how the entity should be structured - including tax issues, sources of start-up capital, and how the company will be managed. It´s important to choose the right entity at the outset, to avoid time-consuming and costly changes in the future. Legal and tax professionals must understand the pros and cons of various entity forms in order to give their clients the right advice.
At this detailed seminar, you´ll gain the knowledge you need to help clients make informed decisions about business entities. Review the relevant statutes and case law in order to compare different business forms and tax aspects of each type of entity. Walk through the entity formation drafting process to eliminate missing crucial documents. This decision is important for your clients - get the information you need to advise them wisely.
- Compare various business entities to determine which one is best for your client.
- Evaluate financing concerns, including how debt will be structured.
- Smooth the process of incorporation and formation of subsidiary corporations.
- Understand the tax consequences for corporations, pass-through entities and tax-exempt organizations.
- Review sample formation documents and forms that you can use in your practice.
- Know how the "check the box" income tax regulations come into play when forming an entity.
FUNDAMENTALS OF ENTITY SELECTION
8:30 - 9:30
- Relevant Statutes and Case Law
- Comparison of Entity Options: Advantages, Disadvantages and Consequences
- Limited Liability Companies
- Limited Liability Partnerships
- Limited Partnerships
- C Corporations
- S Corporations
- Other Entities
- Advantageous Uses
- Entity Selection for Professional Organization Use
KEY ISSUES IMPACTING ENTITY SELECTION
9:30 - 10:25
- Analyzing Financing Concerns: The Question of Debt
- Factoring in Equity
- Using New Hybrid Alternatives
- Liability and Operational Implications
- What Does Management Style Have to Do With It?
- Handling Dissolution, Conversions, Mergers and Buyouts
- Operational Issues Your Client Needs to Plan For
UNDERSTANDING GENERAL PARTNERSHIPS AND JOINT VENTURES
10:40 - 11:35
- What are General Partnerships and Joint Ventures?
- When is a Partnership or Joint Venture Appropriate?
- Partnership Agreement Provisions
- Resolving Organizational Issues
- Rights and Duties Among Partners
- Managing Liability of Partners
S AND C CORPORATION BASICS
12:35 - 1:30
- Why Incorporate?
- Determining Where to Incorporate
- Working Out Operational Issues
- How to Form Subsidiary Corporations
BUILDING AN ETHICAL FOUNDATION
1:30 - 2:30
- The Role of the Attorney as Advisor in Entity Formation
- Conflicts of Interest: Who is the Client?
- The Importance of Confidentiality
- Adequacy of Fees and Charges
- Civil Liability
TAX ASPECTS TO CONSIDER IN ENTITY SELECTION AND FORMATION
2:45 - 3:45
- Knowledgeably Advise Your Client on Taxation Options
- Comparison of Tax Advantages, Disadvantages and Consequence Amongst Entities
- How Taxes are Handled for Single-Member LLCs
- Dealing With Tax-Exempt Organizations
- “Check the Box” Income Tax Regulations
- Local and State Tax Considerations
DRAFTING ENTITY FORMATION DOCUMENTS
3:45 - 4:40
- Identifying Required Documents
- Drafting Essentials
- Sample Formation Documents and Forms
Agendas and Speakers may differ slightly depending on the location. Please e-mail or call a representative to obtain an agenda for a particular location.