Accounting 101 for Attorneys - Legal /
Accounting Training Seminar
Gain a practical understanding of accounting and the relevance it has to your practice.
Do you understand basic accounting terms, ratios and statements? Can you apply this knowledge to create a clear understanding of the overall picture? Do you know how to identify red flags in accounting records? It is imperative that attorneys are able to develop a working understanding and analytical framework of accounting terminology to strengthen their background and avoid unintentional, involuntary accounting scandals. This course will teach you the basics of accounting so you can be knowledgeable when examining statements and identifying red flags. Don't put yourself at risk - register today!
- Enhance your credibility with experts and clients by understanding common accounting terms.
- Build your understanding of financial statements: gain perspective on calculating important ratios and how they're interconnected.
- Recognize potential red flags: hone your fraud detection skills by examining accounting records.
- Develop an accounting vocabulary that ensures proper usage in litigation to help you win your case.
- Be able to evaluate the individual tax return and understand the impact of businesses on returns.
- Recognize the ethical issues involved when
working with accountants and tax advisors
- UNDERSTANDING BASIC ACCOUNTING CONCEPTS
9:00 - 10:15, Bill Ditty
- Comprehending Accounting Terms
- How to Read Financial Statements
- Balance Sheet
- Income Statement
- Statement of Cash Flows
- Relationship Between Statements
- Understanding the GAAP and Other Accounting Styles
- ANALYZING FINANCIAL STATEMENTS
10:30 - 12:00, Bernard I. Agin
- Calculating and Interpreting the Numbers
- Liquidity Analysis
- Profitability Analysis
- Activity Analysis
- Capital Structure
- Capital Market
- IDENTIFYING FRAUD
1:00 - 2:15, Bill Ditty
- Detecting Red Flags
- Preventing Attorney Liability
- Applying Knowledge in Case Studies
- INTERPRETING INDIVIDUAL TAX RETURNS
2:15 - 3:15, Bernard I. Agin
- Finding the "True" Income of a Small Business Owner
- How Income From S Corps and LLCs Flows Through to Individual Form 1040
- Finding Hidden Assets and Activities Through Tax Returns
- COMPLYING WITH ETHICAL STANDARDS
3:30 - 4:30, James S. Aussem
- Attorney-Client Privilege
- Work Product Doctrine
- Protecting Confidentiality, Privilege and Work Product Doctrine When Working With Accountants and Tax Advisors
- Conflicts of Interest
- Reporting Professional Misconduct
Agendas and Speakers may differ slightly depending on the location. Please e-mail or call a representative to obtain an agenda for a particular location.