Don't let your attorney be surprised by undiscovered title defects!
A proper review of title is one of the fundamental building blocks of real estate transactions. The results of a title search provide both the buyer and the seller assurance of marketable title and the terms of title protection. Missing even one piece of critical information can jeopardize the transaction or cause costly problems in the future. Let our experienced faculty educate you not only on common issues you will encounter, but help you to uncover problem areas you may not have confronted in the past. Take advantage of the knowledge offered by savvy professionals working in the field. Enroll today!
Find out how you can efficiently and effectively:
- Recognize what the title commitment will not reveal to avoid future ownership disputes.
- Establish a coherent chain of title that will help to authenticate ownership history.
- Address complicated title defects to recognize when court action is necessary.
- Outline plans for coordinating payment, cancellation and satisfaction of record for ease in correcting simple title problems.
- Identify encumbrances and liens impacting the affected property.
- Detect missing or incorrect elements in documentation before they become problematic.
- Review surveys, descriptions and plats to confirm that ownership information is accurate.
- Distinguish what non-title matters may impact the marketability of title.
- Determine why a final review of the closing documents is critical.
- Understand the purpose of title insurance to identify key coverages.
- DEFINING TITLE INSURANCE
9:00 - 10:30 Orlando Lucero
- Why is Title Insurance Important?
- Introduction to the Forms
- What Coverages are Available?
- PREPARING A TITLE COMMITMENT - WHAT DOES THE TITLE COMPANY DO?
10:45 - 12:00 LaMerle Boyd
- Conducting a Complete Title Search
- Walking Through the Title Examination Process
- Writing the Title Commitment
- WHAT HAPPENS AT THE ATTORNEY'S OFFICE?
1:00 - 2:30 James S. Rubin
- Title Coverage Requirements in the Purchase Agreement
- Reviewing the Title Commitment
- Reviewing the Closing Documents
- Reviewing the Owner's or Lender's Policy
- The Purchaser's Assessment
- RECOGNIZING AND CURING COMMON TITLE DEFECTS
2:45 - 4:30 James S. Rubin
- Common Title Defects
- Problems a Title Commitment Will Not Reveal
- Tools for Resolving Title Problems