Fight for Your Clients´ Civil Liberties
The post-civil rights era has brought with itself new trends, rulings and regulatory changes. This authoritative course will provide you with the updates essential to staying on top of your practice. From students´ rights in schools to section 1983 claims, our distinguished faculty will take you through the latest court rulings and intricate litigation strategies. Don´t miss this stellar opportunity to hone your skills – enroll today!
- Re-discover fourth amendment rights as they relate to work computers and the use of Internet and learn how the courts have interpreted the issue.
- Find out what´s new in local government and school settings.
- Determine when conduct is “under color of” state law.
- Discuss how the Garcetti v. Ceballos decision applies to other scenarios of public employees´ first amendment rights in the workplace.
- Review the Voting Rights Act and further discuss the pros and cons
- Learn how you can incorporate the new rules of electronic discovery into your litigation practice to ensure the evidence is admissible in court.
RECENT DEVELOPMENTS IN CIVIL RIGHTS LAW
9:00 - 10:15, Carlos E. Mahoney
- Patriot Act
- Alien Tort Claims Act
- GLBT Community
FIRST AMENDMENT ISSUES IN LOCAL GOVERNMENT & SCHOOL SETTINGS
10:30 - 11:45, Katherine Lewis Parker
- Free Speech
- Free Exercise/Establishment Clause
UNDER COLOR OF STATE LAW - SECTION 1983 CASES
12:45 - 2:00, D. Hardison Wood
- The Implications of Garcetti v. Celallos
- Eighth Amendment Issues and Conditions of Confinement
- Shocking the Contemporary Conscience: Fourth & Fourteenth Amendment Issues
- The Duty to Intervene; Samuels v. Cunningham
- "Don´t tase me, Bro!"; Dealing with Electronic Control Devices
- Litigating s. 1983 Actions in State Courts: The Burden of Proof (Shaw v. Leatherberry) and Utilizing Other State Causes of Action
- Current Issues in Qualified and Absolute Immunity
VOTING RIGHTS CLAIMS AND REDISTRICTING
2:00 - 2:30 and 2:45 - 3:20, Anita S. Earls
- Reauthorization of the Voting Rights Act and Its Constitutionality
- Section 5 Review of Changes Affecting Voting Under the New Law
- Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act - Pender County and Dean v. Leake
- How Minority Voting Rights are Impacted by Election Reform Measures and Redistricting Reform Measures
- The Pros and Cons of a State Voting Rights Act
E-DISCOVERY AND THE AGE OF TECHNOLOGY IN CIVIL RIGHTS LITIGATION
3:20 - 4:30, Philip J. Roth Jr.