Ensure Compliant and Successful Business Transactions in China
Do you know Chinese trade, tax and labor laws well enough to insure compliance? Do you have the skills to overcome cultural barriers during business agreement negotiations? Tax reform, changing regulations and complicated cultural differences all combine to create a challenging legal climate. Attend this seminar to explore the critical laws and issues involved in doing business in China, and uncover best practices for negotiating and writing international partnership agreements and supply management contracts. Enroll today!
- Stay up-to-date on recent changes to trade, tax and labor laws that affect compliance procedures.
- Discover the most favored nations from which to make in-bound investments into China.
- Identify what corporate structure will provide the least liability and bureaucratic approval processes, so you can get operations up and running as soon as possible.
- Minimize turnover: find out what types of assistance Chinese employees expect from you as an employer.
- Know what to expect under the new tax audit regime.
- Navigate cultural negotiation differences to build mutually profitable business relationships.
- Uncover best practices for drafting low-risk, flexible business agreements.
- Recognize what special contract rules apply when dealing with offshore purchases.
- Identify what critical contract provisions can reduce liability and costs.
- Learn unique tactics to effectively handle dispute resolution for breach of contract in China.
- Find out the best ways to protect intellectual property during Chinese business transactions.
INVESTMENT AND TRADE REGULATIONS
9:00 - 9:45, Felix B. Chang and Harvey J. Cohen
- Trade Relations With China and the Interplay of Regulatory Agencies
- Export Controls and Sanctions
- Anti-Corruption and Anti-Dumping Laws
- Foreign Direct Investment Policies and Favored Nations for In-Bound Investments into China
- M&A Regulations and the Acquisition of Domestic Enterprises by Foreign Investors
- Governmental Approval Processes
LABOR LAWS AND COMPLIANCE
9:45 - 10:30, Paul Allaer and Claire Huaying Ye
- Cultural Differences and Labor Expectations
- The Laws Governing Hiring, Firing and Compensation
- Handling Labor Disputes
FOREIGN EXCHANGE AND TAXATION ISSUES
10:45 - 11:45, Haifeng Hong
- The Chinese Banking System, Payment Options and Foreign Exchange Issues
- Inter-Company Loans
- Tax Laws, Corporate Structure and Liability Exposure
- Independent Contractor vs. Employee
- Principal Taxes Affecting Operations
- Tax Treaties and Transfer Pricing Rules
- China Business Trusts
- Tax Incentives, Tax Compliance and IRS Issues
- New Tax Regulations: Chinese Corporate Income Tax Law
- New Tax Audit Regime: What to Expect
NEGOTIATING AND DRAFTING PARTNERSHIP AND OUTSOURCING AGREEMENTS
12:45 - 2:15, Felix B. Chang and Harvey J. Cohen
- Contract Types and Purposes
- The Importance of Due Diligence
- Mitigating International Litigation Risk
- Understanding Chinese Negotiation Methods
- Negotiation Strategies for Low-Risk, Flexible Agreements
- Drafting Tactics and Important Provisions for Sound Joint Venture Agreements
- Secrets to Drafting Solid Supply Management Contracts
- Handling Complex Partnerships and Disputes
- Lessons Learned & Cautionary Advice
AVOIDING AND RESOLVING DISPUTES WITH CHINESE PARTIES
2:30 - 3:30, John B. Pinney
- Potential for Disputes is an Important Risk in Doing Business in China
- How to Manage and Reduce Risk of Business Disputes
- Resources Available for Resolution of Business Disputes in China
- Mediation and Conciliation
- Arbitration in China and Hong Kong
- Arbitration Outside of China
- New York Convention and Enforcement of Arbitral Awards in China
- Litigation as an Option for Resolution of Disputes
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND TRADE SECRET PROTECTION
3:30 - 4:30, Victor J. Wasylyna
- Case Law: The Risks Associated With IP in Chinese Business Transactions
- Available Protection Methods: Are They Effective?
- The Chinese Judicial Method, Arbitration Process and Strategies
- Enforcement Mechanisms Available