Uphold the Highest Standards of the Legal Profession With Skillful Application of Ethics Requirements
Every year, more and more attorneys are facing disciplinary action and litigation for alleged professional or ethical negligence. In a litigious society, no one is immune. Knowing what is required and how to identify problems before they happen is vital. This intensive study will provide you with proactive strategies for spotting and avoiding potential areas of liability. Let our expert speakers answer your most pressing ethical questions. Find out how simple changes to your routine can make ethical legal practices second nature – enroll today!
- Gain a refresher on how the rules of professional conduct apply to your everyday practice.
- Explore the hidden dangers of representing clients of diminished mental capacity and minors.
- Refine your retainer agreements to ensure realistic client expectations and avoid problems down the road.
- Know the rules governing client trust accounts and your responsibilities as the fiduciary.
- Find out how much notice to give before transferring funds from trust account to lawyer´s general account to avoid “commingling of funds” charges.
- Gain practical tips to set up or perfect your own management and record-keeping system that ensures accountability and makes periodic client security audits a breeze.
- Find out what needs to be done to make certain you´re authorized to practice law in other states.
- Project the right image and stay in compliance with an ethical approach to advertising your services.
- Sharing an office with another attorney? Gain practical tips for making your co-existence harmonious and compliant.
ETHICAL CLIENT COMMUNICATIONS
8:45 - 9:30, John A. Snow
- Protecting Confidentiality
- Preventing Conflicts of Interest
- Keeping the Client in the Loop
- Admitting to the Client When You´ve Made a Mistake
- Managing Difficult Clients
- What to Do When Co-Clients Are Fighting?
- Representing a Mentally Incapable Client or a Minor
- Implied Attorney-Client Contracts
RESPONSIBLE MANAGEMENT OF ATTORNEY´S FEES AND CLIENT TRUST ACCOUNTS
9:30 - 10:15, John A. Snow
- Initial Fee Agreements
- Simple Tips to Avoid Commingling of Funds
- Keeping Impeccable Financial Records
- How to Write Invoices that Clients Will Pay
- Resolving Fee Disputes
RECORD-KEEPING PRACTICES THAT PREVENT LEGAL MALPRACTICE ALLEGATIONS
10:30 - 11:15, John A. Snow
- How Long Do I Keep the Closed Case File?
- What Must Be Done When a Lawyer Enters or Leaves the Firm?
- Electronic Communications Challenges
- Can an Attorney Secretly Record Conversations?
PREVENTING LEGAL MALPRACTICE IN EVERYDAY PRACTICE
11:15 - 12:00, John A. Snow
- Interstate Practice of Law
- Partnering with Colleagues and Case Referral
- Ethical Advertising and the Pitfalls in On-Line Marketing
- Assisting a Pro Se Litigant
- Unauthorized Practice of Law – What to Do When You´re In Way Over Your Head
- Hidden Dangers of Office Sharing Arrangements