Skillfully Manage Your Multiple Roles
Do you feel overwhelmed when dealing with labor, zoning and civil rights issues all in one day? Do you have the knowledge and skills you need to keep up-to-date with all the legislative changes? Let our experienced faculty share their strategies and techniques for dealing with a wide-range of local government issues. Get the information you need to help your day run more smoothly – enroll today!
- Apply current guidelines for effectively addressing public participation and free speech issues.
- Be prepared to solve common municipal wage and hour issues with our current tips for success.
- Want to avoid sources of zoning conflict between counties and municipalities? We´ll show you how.
- Take away strategies for managing public right-of-ways while minimizing potential conflict.
- Let your voice be heard: Gain insight on how to assist policy makers with regulations, ordinances and standards decisions.
- Make sure redevelopment efforts get underway smoothly with techniques for formulating redevelopment strategies.
- LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND THE LAW
9:00 - 9:35, Dale O. Harris and Thomas G. Stanley
- Legislative Update
- Recent Cases of Interest to Municipalities
- Assisting Policy Makers With Regulations, Ordinances or Standards Decisions
- ADDRESSING PUBLIC RIGHTS ISSUES
9:35 - 10:45, Dale O. Harris and Thomas G. Stanley
- Public Participation and Free Speech Issues
- Consumer Law and Neighborhood Revitalization
- Establishing Curfews for Minors
- Access to Private Information About Public Employees
- MUNICIPAL EMPLOYMENT RELATIONS
11:00 - 12:15, Dale O. Harris and Thomas G. Stanley
- Wage and Hour Issues
- Discipline of Public Employees
- Salary Basis Test for White-Collar Exemptions Under the FSLA
- Reasonable Accommodation Under the ADA
- Dealing With Employee Drug/Alcohol Problems
- ZONING CONCERNS
1:15 - 2:45, Arden Fritz and Todd R. Schoffelman
- Municipal Authority to Regulate Land Divisions
- Boundary and Variance Issues
- Managing the Public Rights of Way
- Moratoria and Other Methods for Controlling Growth
- Sources of Conflict Between Counties and Municipalities
- State Highway Jurisdictional Issues
- LAND USE AND PLANNING ISSUES
3:00 - 4:30, Arden Fritz and Todd R. Schoffelman
- Comprehensive Planning and Zoning
- The Land Development Process
- Drafting Development Agreements
- Land Acquisition
- Administrative Inspections
- Strategies for Recovering Costs of Development
- Formulating Redevelopment Strategies
- Transportation and Infrastructure Issues
- Environmental Review
- Regulation of Specific Types of Properties/Businesses