Get the Results Your Clients Deserve
Your clients take it for granted that you'll be able to get them through the divorce process with a settlement that will be fair and will satisfy all their financial needs. Do you share their confidence? This seminar will give you the knowledge you need to competently represent your clients to the best settlement possible. Enroll today!
- Be thorough: examine and retrieve fundamental documents for a successful divorce case.
- Expand your clients' options and learn what types of divorce procedures are available.
- Understand your clients' financial position by delving into which assets are marital and which are exempt.
- Master the key components of a settlement agreement so that there are no unanswered questions or confused clients.
- Don't forget a thing! Use a “divorce checklist” to include the fundamental documents.
- Make sure your client gets his or her fair share of the assets by understanding how to equitably divide assets and debts.
- Protect the family the best you can by offering all the available custody and visitation options.
- Wrap up all the loose ends in your case – master the final divorce checklist.
- Protect your clients and their children by understanding custody, visitation and support issues.
- GETTING A DIVORCE CASE OFF ON THE RIGHT FOOT
9:00 - 10:30, Charles N. Branton
- Tactics for Thoroughly Interviewing the Client
- Review of Fundamental Documents in the Divorce Case
- Drafting an Inclusive Separation Agreement
- Conducting Effective Discovery
- Separating Joint Accounts
- Can You Establish Grounds for Divorce?
- Does Your Client Need a Protective Order?
- What Types of Divorce Procedures are Available?
- Using a Divorce Checklist to Make Sure Your Bases are Covered
- Taking the First Steps in Starting the Divorce Action
- Drafting Initial Divorce Proceedings
- What the Response Should Look Like
- Properly Serving Papers
- Negotiation, Mediation or Litigation – Making the Right Choice
- Potential Pitfalls That May be Encountered
- DIVIDING ASSETS AND DEBTS EQUITABLY
10:45 - 12:00, Mark Mansfield
- Factoring in Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements
- Ways to Identify Assets Acquired Before Marriage
- Which Assets are Exempt From Distribution?
- Tackling Tough Valuation Issues
- What are Considered Marital Assets?
- Retirement Plans, Pensions and Insurance: How are Long-Term Assets Affected?
- Dividing Debt – Who is Liable?
- Modification and Enforcement of Asset Distribution
- EXPLORING CUSTODY, VISITATION AND SUPPORT ISSUES
1:00 - 2:15, Ellen Cronin Badeaux
- The Scope of Child Custody Jurisdiction and How it Will Affect You
- Types of Custody Arrangements
- Establishing and Enforcing Visitation
- Modification of Custody and Visitation Terms
- Review of Sample Custody Agreements
- Child Support Calculations and Modifications
- Determining Spousal Maintenance and Alimony
- Medical and Healthcare Considerations
- Dealing With the Relocation of a Child
- ETHICAL PERILS IN DIVORCE PRACTICE
2:30 - 3:30, Mark Mansfield
- Controlling Client Relations and Recognizing Dishonesty
- When Withdrawal of Counsel is Appropriate
- Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
- Confidentiality and Disclosure Issues
- Calculating Fair Attorneys' Fees
- COMPLETING THE DIVORCE
3:30 - 4:30, Ellen Cronin Badeaux
- Drafting and Review of the Marital Settlement Agreement
- Key Components of the Successful Settlement Agreement
- Incorporating Necessary Standard Clauses
- Practical Considerations
- Final Divorce Wrap-Up Checklist
- Final Judgment or Decree of Divorce
- Appealing the Judgment or Divorce Decree
- Tackling Post Divorce Legal Problems