Be Ready When Mineral Rights Affect Your Practice
The oil and gas business is hopping and practitioners are fielding more mineral law questions than ever before. Hear from our experienced faculty on this important topic and take home practical tips for your practice. This cutting edge legal briefing will give you the update you need on mineral law in the 21st century. Register today!
- Know the most recent mineral rights case law and how it can affect your clients.
- Learn about common forms of mineral interest to update your knowledge.
- Discuss cloudy title problems left by old mineral rights leases and avoid the problems they cause.
- Clarify state rules specific to mineral rights.
- Advise clients effectively when mineral rights and inheritance issues come together.
- Apply the most recent state rules to mineral rights cases.
- Understand mineral interest leases outside of oil and gas.
- Examine the possible conflicts involved with mineral leases and surface property inheritance.
MINERAL RIGHTS LAW: WHAT'S HAPPENING NOW?
9:00 - 10:15, Walter A. Bunt Jr.
- State Rules and Local Land Use Codes
- Current Issues and Trends
- Recent Case Law and Royalty Class Action Litigation
- Dormant Mineral Interest Act
MINERAL OWNERS VS. SURFACE OWNERS: WHO OWNS THE EARTH?
10:30 - 11:45, Matthew J. Carl
- Common Forms of Mineral Interest
- Purchase Rights and Rights of First Refusal
- Subsurface Trespass
MINERAL TITLE EXAMINATION: NOT YOUR BASIC TITLE?
12:45 - 2:00, Russell L. Schetroma
- Commonly Encountered Types of Lands
- How Surveys Play In
- Curing Title in Mineral Cases
- Non Record Title Issues
MINERAL LEASES 101
2:00 - 3:15, Matthew J. Carl
- Basic Provisions of an Oil and Gas Lease
- Other Mineral Interest Leases
- Contract Drafting
- Duration and Termination
- Effect on Future Sales of Property
- Surface Property Inheritance Issues
LEGAL ETHICS IN A CHANGING WORLD
3:30 - 4:30, Walter A. Bunt Jr.
- Identifying and Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
- 21st Century Technology and Attorney-Client Privilege
- Ethics in Attorney Advertising