Stay on Predatory Lending and Consumer Lending Law's Cutting Edge!
Familiar with predatory lending laws? Prepared to handle complicated consumer lending cases? This rousing and informative seminar provides a thorough understanding of predatory and consumer lending's civil and criminal environment today. Effectively navigate through state and federal laws to successfully litigate on your client's behalf. Register today!
- Skillfully bring or defend against predatory lending and consumer lending claims.
- Become current on the Truth in Lending Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Law and supporting regulations.
- Gain insight into potential defendants, recoverable damages and obtaining the most favorable outcome for clients.
- Examine forum and venue options to select the best route for your case.
- Learn arguments for and against admissibility of expert testimony and most current developments.
- Explore present and future implications of state and federal predatory lending investigations.
- Background on Loans Deemed “Predatory”
9:00 - 9:45, David A. Leen
- Borrowers, Loans, and Potential Defendants
- Hot Areas in Consumer Lending
- “Equity Stripping”
- “Yield Spread Premiums” – Lender-Paid Broker Compensation
- Mortgage Closing Costs and Disclosure
- Forced-Placed Homeowners' Insurance
- Late and Erroneous Posting of Payments
- Applicable Predatory Lending Laws
9:45 - 10:30 and 10:45 - 11:30, Deborah Bortner and David W. Huey
- Truth in Lending Act, Home Ownership Equity Protection Act, and Regulation Z
- Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act
- Equal Credit Opportunity Act
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Law
- Credit Services Organizations Act
- Predatory Lending Litigation
11:30 - 12:15, David A. Leen
- Forums and Venues
- Relief and Attorneys' Fees Recoverability
- Admissibility of Expert Testimony
- Criminal Investigation and Prosecution in Predatory Lending
1:15 - 2:15, David Seaver
- How Investigations Originate
- State and Federal – Implications of Both
- Nature of Investigations
- Examples of Recent Prosecutions
- What the Future May Hold
2:15 - 3:15, Shelly Crocker
- Attorney as Trusted Advisor
- Professionalism and Civility in Difficult Times
- Fee Shifting Statutes and Contingent Fees
- Government Regulation of Lenders
3:30 - 4:30, Deborah Bortner and David W. Huey