Get inside information on what your attorney wants and needs!
The motion for summary judgment is an efficient tool that has the potential to save the client money and either end the case or reduce the issues to be presented at trial. Understanding when (and how) it can be used will help you to take on increasingly more challenging litigation tasks. This comprehensive course will not only take you through how to prepare a motion, but how you can go even further by planning ahead. Take a closer look at reasons why your attorney may not want to file a motion for summary judgment and why when the motion is filed, it may be denied. Come away with tools for legal analysis, research and writing that you can apply immediately!
Uncover the who, what, why, where, when and how-to's of:
- At what stage of the case your attorney would file a summary judgment motion.
- The pitfalls of allowing the opposition to review the case facts.
- Why the hardest part is getting started.
- Ensuring proper calendaring and service for the motion.
- Documents in the file your attorney will be asking for.
- How to help your attorney to successfully prepare for the hearing.
- THE MOTION FOR SUMMARY JUDGMENT: WHEN AND WHY YOUR ATTORNEY MAY CHOOSE TO USE IT
9:00 - 9:45, Grey Pierson
- Defining ďSummary JudgmentĒ
- At What Stage of the Case Would Your Attorney File a Summary Judgment Motion
- Why Does Your Attorney Want to File Motion for Summary Judgment?
- THE PROS AND CONS OF SUMMARY JUDGMENT MOTIONS
9:45 - 10:45, M. Chad Berry
- Benefits of Filing a Summary Judgment Motion
- Motion Denied: The Pitfalls of Allowing the Opposition to Review the Facts and Evidence You Will be Presenting at Trial
- Other Reasons Your Attorney May NOT Want to File a Summary Judgment Motion
- CONDUCTING LEGAL RESEARCH
11:00 - 12:00, G. Leroy Street
- The Hardest Part is Getting Started
- Key Legal Research Websites
- Codes and Rules You Must Know
- Summary Judgment Case Citations
- PROPER CALENDARING AND SERVICE
1:00 - 1:45, M. Chad Berry
- The Motion
- Request for Electronic Version of Separate Statement
- The Opposition
- The Reply
- Tentative Ruling
- DRAFTING THE DOCUMENTS YOU NEED
1:45 - 3:00, M. Chad Berry
- The Motion and Documents in the File Your Attorney Will be Asking For
- Documents for the Opposition
- Documents Needed for the Reply
- Summary Adjudication
- SUMMARY JUDGMENT QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
3:15 - 4:30, D. Bradley Kizzia
- Helping Your Attorney Prepare for the Hearing
- Common Questions and Answers
- The Top Reasons Why the Research Attorneys Might Recommend the Judge Deny the Motion