Prevent Problems Down the Line With Superior Skills
Do you have a solid foundation of knowledge in title law? Are you confident in handling any complications that may arise? This comprehensive seminar will provide you fundamental knowledge of title law and learn how to make title problems a non-issue in your business. Our expert faculty will take you through the title examination process, so you can identify potential problems before they arise. Get the basics you need to deal with titles. Register today!
- Gain strategies and techniques for overcoming common and not so common obstacles to obtain marketable title.
- Keep your practices current with a review of current trends and developments in real estate conveyances.
- Navigate the title examination process with ease using forms, practice tips and procedural pointers from experienced practitioners.
- Don't let common title issues derail your transaction: learn to identify and overcome title issues.
- Learn how to overcome title defects such as homestead and statutory rights, heir's deeds, and defects in execution.
- Elements incorrect or missing in documentation? We'll show you what you can do.
- Gain practical tips on drafting and negotiating title insurance policies.
- Learn how to handle voluntary and involuntary title transfers with ease.
- Understand the latest issues related to water rights.
- THE LAW OF REAL ESTATE TITLES
9:00 - 9:50, Gregory S. Bell
- The Background of Real Estate Titles
- Current Issues in Conveyancing Practice
- Typical and Atypical Liens and Encumbrances
- THE PROCESS OF TITLE EXAMINATION
9:50 - 10:50, R. Bruce Findlay
- Forms, Practice Pointers and Procedures
- Finding and Resolving Issues Through Examination of the Records
- Defects in Execution
- Homestead and Statutory Rights
- Heir's Deeds
- Missing or Incorrect Elements in Documents
- Old Roads and Old Subdivisions
- Examination of the Abstract of Title
- ETHICAL CONSIDERATIONS
11:05 - 12:05, Langdon T. Owen Jr.
- Attorneys' Fees
- Conflicts of Interest Multiple Representation
- Maintaining Attorney Client Privilege
- PREPARING THE TITLE OPINION AND ISSUES IN TITLE INSURANCE
1:05 - 2:15, Langdon T. Owen Jr.
- Contract Provisions Regarding Title
- What is Marketable Title?
- Introduction to Title Insurance
- Negotiating Title Insurance Policies
- The New ALTA Owner's and Lender's Title Insurance Policies
- Availability of Expanded Coverage Policies Provided by ALTA
- Title Opinions
- Preparing for Closing
- TRANSFER OF TITLE
2:30 - 3:30, J. Craig Smith
- Voluntary Transfers
- Legal Requirements for an Effective Conveyance
- Types of Deeds
- Involuntary Transfers
- Foreclosures of Mortgages or Deeds of Trusts
- Mechanics' Lien Foreclosures
- Foreclosures of Tax and Other Liens
- Adverse Possession
- Reversion of Title
- Forfeitures of Title
- Private Covenants and Restrictions
- WATER RIGHTS TITLE ISSUES
3:30 - 4:30, J. Craig Smith
- Nature of Water Rights Title
- Transfer of Water Rights
- Water Rights Title Insurance