Brush up on the basics of workers' compensation law and stay ahead of recent trends.
Are you building the workers' compensation area of your practice? Do you need a firmer foundation or an update on recent changes in this complex area of employment law? Don't miss this opportunity for a refresher on workers' compensation fundamentals and an update on hot topics all at once. Register today!
- Sort through the interplay between workers' compensation, ADA, FMLA and OSHA.
- Identify preventative measures to help manage workers' compensation risk.
- Gain a clear foundation of workers' compensation practices in the United States and in your state.
- Learn how the courts have been ruling in workers' compensation cases on the federal and state levels.
- Stay ahead of the curve on hot topics such as wage loss and voluntary abandonment.
- Review correct communication with witnesses in workers' compensation cases.
- Properly handle return-to-work situations.
- Get important legislative and statutory updates.
OVERVIEW OF WORKERS' COMPENSATION LAW
9:00 - 10:00, Jacob Dobres
INTERSECTING ACRONYMS: HOW FMLA, ADA , OSHA AND WORKCOMP MIX
10:00 - 11:00, Timothy E. Cowans
- Definitions and Purposes
- Family and Medical Leave Act,
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Examples and Explanations of Interplay Situations
PREVENTATIVE MEASURES AND RISK MANAGEMENT
11:15 - 12:15, Janis B. Rosenthal
- Organizational Audits
- Early Intervention
- Behavioral Health Concerns
- Wellness Culture
CLAIM PROCEDURE OVERVIEW
1:15 - 2:15, Janis B. Rosenthal
- Initiating a Claim
- Jurisdictional Concerns and Statutes of Limitations
- Procedural Checklist
- Conducting Effective Discovery
- Causal Relationships
- Controverting a Claim
2:15 - 3:15, Jacob Dobres
- Rules of Professional Conduct
- Conflicts of Interest
- Contacts with Witnesses, Doctors and Other Parties
- Assessing Attorneys' Fees
- Lawyer Liability
CASE LAW AND STATUTORY UPDATES
3:30 - 4:30, Timothy E. Cowans
- Federal Level
- State Level