Safeguard the Future of Elderly Clients
Your elderly clients depend on you to help them ease their tax burdens, preserve their assets and safeguard their futures. Keeping up with critical developments in elder law and supplying real-world solutions to the unique problems seniors face can be difficult. With this comprehensive program you´ll build your knowledge on common legal and financial issues facing elderly clients as they plan for their future so you can provide your clients with up to the minute advice. Register today!
- Advise your clients wisely with a firm understanding of common estate planning techniques and the potential expenses and restrictions associated with them.
- Help your clients understand the risks and benefits of maintaining joint bank accounts.
- Prepare your client for incapacity by understanding how to use durable powers of attorney, living wills and guiding them through their decisions on prolonging life through medical treatments.
- Understand the pros and cons of assisted living so you can give your clients the advice they need.
- Identify the common hurdles that arise with long-term care financing and what you can do to help your client plan for the future.
- Do you know how to legally transfer assets and minimize estate taxes? We´ll show you how.
- Gain a fundamental understanding of Medicaid eligibility and how to solve common problems that may arise.
- WORK THROUGH KEY ESTATE PLANNING ISSUES
9:00 - 9:45, Written by Roy H. Cunningham. Presented by George H. Gray in Rochester, Robert H. Fix
in Syracuse and Roy H. Cunningham in Buffalo.
- How to Determine the Client´s Goals
- Understanding Planning Techniques and Their Potential Expenses and Restrictions
- Misconceptions About Choosing Their Agent/Trustee
- Joint Bank Accounts: The Risks and Benefits
- Recent Need-to-Know Case Law and Legislative Developments
- PLAN FOR YOUR CLIENT´S INCAPACITY
9:45 - 10:30, Written by George H. Gray. Presented by George H. Gray in Rochester, Robert H. Fix in Syracuse and Roy H. Cunningham in Buffalo.
- When Durable Power of Attorney Is the Best Option
- Plan for How Health Care Decisions Will Be Controlled
- What to Look for When Evaluating Living Will Declarations
- Discuss Withholding or Withdrawing Life-Prolonging Medical Treatment
- How to Exercise Health Care Options with Durable Powers of Attorney
- Adult Right-to-Die Cases - Lessons to be Learned
- GIVE INFORMED ADVICE ABOUT LONG-TERM CARE
10:45 - 11:30, Written by Richard G. Compson. Presented by Terrence C. Brown-Steiner in Rochester, Richard G. Compson in Syracuse and Roy H. Cunningham in Buffalo.
- What Home and Community-Based Services Can and Can´t Offer
- Assisted Living - the Pros and Cons
- Break Down the Criteria for Nursing Facility Care
- Compare the Private Methods of Financing Long-Term Care Costs
- ELIMINATE CONFUSION SURROUNDING LONG-TERM CARE INSURANCE
11:30 - 12:30, Written by Terrence C. Brown-Steiner. Presented by Terrence C. Brown-Steiner in Rochester, Richard G. Compson in Syracuse and Charles W. Beinhauer in Buffalo.
- How Much Coverage is Enough?
- How Age and Health Factors Figure In
- Be Prepared to Head Off Income and Estate Tax Problems
- EXAMINE CORE TOPICS IN MEDICAID AND ESTATE RECOVERY
1:30 - 2:30, Written by Charles W. Beinhauer. Presented by George H. Gray and Martin E. Muehe in Rochester, Richard G. Compson and Frederick P. Davies in Syracuse and Charles W. Beinhauer in Buffalo.
- Clear Up Eligibility Questions
- Solve Eligibility Problems Using the Personal Service Contract
- Exceptions to the Rules About Liens and Estate Claims
- The Legality of Transferring Assets
- How Spousal Impoverishment Protection Works
- The Latest Developments in Medicaid Law
- When Estate Recovery Can Take Place By Law
- Challenges in the Collection Process that Demand Your Attention
- ESTABLISH APPROPRIATE ETHICAL BOUNDARIES
2:45 - 3:35, Written by Richard H. Murphy. Presented by Martin E. Muehe in Rochester, Frederick P. Davies in Syracuse and Richard H. Murphy in Buffalo.
- Who Is Your Client? Uncover Confidentiality and Conflict Issues
- The Secret to Avoiding Conflict Between Spouses´ Interests
- The Competency of the Client: Who Calls the Shots?
- Follow Up and Follow Through With the Paperwork - Your Ethical Duties
- Ethical Guidelines for Setting Fair Fees
- DRAFT WILLS THAT PROTECT CLIENTS´ INTERESTS
3:35 - 4:30, Written by Martin E. Muehe. Presented by Martin E. Muehe in Rochester, Frederick P. Davies in Syracuse and Richard H. Murphy in Buffalo.
- Select the Vehicle that Meets Clients´ Needs
- The Statutory ABC´s: What is Required
- De-Mystify the Laws of Intestacy
- Update on Current and Changing Estate Tax Regulations
- Disinheritance and No Contest Clauses: Will They Stand?
- Checklist of Special Provisions that Will Build Flexibility Into the Plan
- Practical Pointers With Sample Forms
- The Proper Execution of a Will in Your State