Be Prepared for Even the Most Complicated Coverage Claims
Designed for professionals who want to develop further proficiency in handling complicated auto insurance coverage situations, this advanced level seminar examines select, sophisticated coverage issues and brings them to life with hypothetical situations and strategies for handling them. Spend the day in a good discussion of associated case law and exchange experiences with colleagues dealing with the same complex situations. Register today!
- Accurately allocate loss in insurance claims involving multiple tortfeasors.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest decisions regarding uninsured motorist offsets, stacking policies and “anti-stacking” policy language.
- Find out how the new CMS rules change Medicare set-asides and affect your settlements.
- Stay current on the latest case law and legislative decisions influencing auto insurance coverage.
- Discover which bad faith actions invoke trebling of stipulated covenant judgments.
- Determine when working with a difficult client has crossed an ethical line.
- Exchange tips and concerns with colleagues and our experienced faculty.
9:00 - 9:45, Written by Michael Gillion. Presented by Michael Gillion in Mobile and Erik Heninger in Birmingham.
- The “Other Insurance” Provision
- Proceeding Against Both Insured and Uninsured Parties
- When Coverage Purports to be Excess Under Both Policies
- Representing the Insured in an Excess
Stacking Insurance Coverage and Uninsured Motorist Offsets
9:45 - 10:30, Written by Phillip Ted Colquett. Presented by Elizabeth A. Citrin in Mobile and Phillip Ted Colquett in Birmingham.
- Stacking of Commercial and Personal Policies
- When is a Negligent Motorist Considered Underinsured?
- Uninsured Motorist Offsets: When is the Insurer Entitled to a Setoff?
Medicare Set-Asides and the New CMS Rules
10:45 - 11:30, Written by Michael I. Fish. Presented by Elizabeth A. Citrin in Mobile and Michael I. Fish in Birmingham.
- Recovery Rights of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
- The New Rules and How They Will Affect Settlements
- Calculating Set-Aside Amounts
- Medicare´s Interests – Do They Extend Beyond Settlement?
Case Law and Legislative Update
11:30 - 12:15, Written by Erik Heninger. Presented by Elizabeth A. Citrin in Mobile and Erik Heninger in Birmingham.
Changes in Liability Limits and Their Implications
1:15 - 2:15, Written by Phillip Ted Colquett. Presented by Michael Gillion in Mobile and Phillip Ted Colquett in Birmingham.
Bad Faith Trends
2:15 - 3:15, Written by Robert G. Jackson Jr. Presented by Robert G. Jackson Jr. in Mobile and Phillip Ted Colquett in Birmingham.
- When Does Denial of Coverage Become Bad Faith?
- Stipulated Covenant Judgments
- Treble Damages
Ethical Issues in Representation
3:30 - 4:30, Written by Erik Heninger. Presented by Robert G. Jackson Jr. in Mobile and Erik Heninger in Birmingham.
- The Client Who Lies
- Coverage Defeating Admissions
- Unethical Doctors and Your Client
- Unethical Insurance Adjusters and Your Client´s Claim