Troubleshoot the Most Complex Areas of Social Security Benefits With Our Experts
Elder law and disability practice is fraught with procedural complexities and intricate document details. Our experienced faculty will tackle the toughest aspects of Medicaid and SSD/SSI law to enhance your ability to ensure your clients receive the benefits they need. This course takes a multi-disciplinary approach to examine how various benefits interact and affect the financial stability of the recipient. Gain practical tips for Medicaid and Medicare hearings and appeals and find out how the courts have been shaping the practice. Register today!
- Join your esteemed colleagues for an engaging discussion of current law and procedure and gain from the shared experience.
- Find out the differences between Medicare vs. Medicaid coverage.
- Know the procedural specifics of re-opening old applications and what red flags to look out for.
- Power up your hearing presentation techniques with tips from the pros.
- Make the best use of vocational experts to maximize your clients' benefits.
- Review the appeals procedure for Medicare, Medicaid, SSD and SSI and find out what traps to avoid.
- Structure your clients' cash flow and assets to allow enough flexibility not to jeopardize their benefits eligibility.
Complex Issues in Medicaid
9:00 - 10:15 and 10:30 - 11:00, David C. Ruyle
- Living With DRA, ARRA and Other Legislative Changes
- Medicaid Premiums and Cost-Sharing Rule
- Hearing Strategies
- When a Client's Need for Long-Term Care Increases
- Estate Recovery and Undue Hardship Waivers
Medicare vs. Medicaid Coverage
11:00 - 12:00, Lori L. Millet
Social Security Disability and Supplemental Security Income
1:00 - 2:45, Gary J. Martone
- Res Judicata and Re-Opening Old Applications
- Dating the Injury
- Determining and Proving Degree of Functional Capacity
- Maximizing Vocational Testimony in Direct and Cross-Examination
- SSI Appeals
- SSD Appeals
- When Children Receiving SSD and/or SSI Turn Adult
- When the Client Fails to Follow Prescribed Medical Treatment
Interplay of Government Benefits and Injury Settlements
3:00 - 4:30, Susan K. Tomita
- Medicare Secondary Payer Act
- Medicare Set-Asides
- Structuring Benefits Distributions Not to Interfere With any Other Cash Inflow
- Special Needs Trusts (Forms, Administration, Closing)
- Income Only Trusts (Forms, Administration, Closing)
- Preventing and Fixing Transfers Without Fair Consideration