Use Practical Tips for Helping Clients Get the Awards They Deserve
Are you doing everything you can to turn your personal injury practice into a lean mean litigation machine? Every plaintiff's attorney knows the job is not about the money. But your clients are already in enough pain to have to worry about the financial side of the case. This practical course will teach you how to take every minute detail into consideration when researching and negotiating the case to maximize the client's recovery. Gain money-saving tips that will benefit both your injured clients and you. Join us for a comprehensive guide to efficient and successful personal injury practice – register today!
- Use surgical precision in your client interview questions and initial investigation to weed out the cases that will cost more than they'll make.
- Get a glimpse into the decision-making practices of insurance companies regarding various types of injuries.
- Get sure-fire strategies for cutting expert costs without sacrificing the quality of representation.
- Account for all the lien holders that will have an effect on the final award and properly address it in the settlement negotiations.
- Maintain an ethical practice with tips from experienced faculty.
- Properly structure the settlement to ensure your client's government benefits are unaffected.
- Case De-Selection
9:00 - 10:00, Mark D. Kuss
- Questions to Ask at the Client Interview
- Cost-Savvy Initial Case Investigation
- Unspoken Red Flags
- Declining Representation
- Estimating the Value of the Case
- Ensuring Clients' Expectations are Reasonable
- How Insurance Companies Value and Process Personal Injury Cases
10:15 - 11:15, Nelson "Chip" Wagar
- Common Types of Injuries
- Types of Coverage
- Cost-Efficient Discovery
11:15 - 12:15, Mark D. Kuss
- Focusing the Scope of Discovery From the Start
- When and What Type of Expert is Needed?
- Efficient Use of Experts
- Obtaining and Interpreting Medical Records
- Delegating Work to Legal Staff
- Who Else Has a Claim on the Award? Account for Outgoing Cash in Your Settlement
1:15 - 2:15, Christine L. DeSue
- Workers' Compensation
- Medicare Liens
- Medical Providers' Liens
- Prudent Settlement Solutions
2:30 - 3:30, J. Gregg Collins
- Efficient Motions and Pleadings
- Economical Use of Mediation and Arbitration
- Structured Settlements
- Special Needs Trusts
- Minding the Award's Effect on Client's Government Benefits
- Ethical Considerations in Mediation
3:30 - 4:30, J. Gregg Collins
- Duty of Zealous Representation vs. Keeping Costs Under Control
- Conflicts of Interest
- Office Sharing Arrangements
- Recent ABA Rules on Lawyers Switching Firms