Safeguard the Future of Elderly Clients
Your elderly clients depend on you to help them ease their tax burdens, preserve their assets and safeguard their futures. Keeping up with critical developments in elder law and supplying real-world solutions to the unique problems seniors face can be difficult. With this comprehensive program you'll build your knowledge on common legal and financial issues facing elderly clients as they plan for their future so you can provide your clients with up to the minute advice. Register today!
- Advise your clients wisely with a firm understanding of common estate planning techniques and the potential expenses and restrictions associated with them.
- Prepare your clients for incapacity by understanding how to use durable powers of attorney, advance directives and guiding them through their decisions on prolonging life through medical treatments.
- Understand the pros and cons of assisted living so you can give your clients the advice they need.
- Identify the common hurdles that arise with long-term care financing and what you can do to help your client plan for the future.
- Do you know how to legally transfer assets and minimize estate taxes? We'll show you how.
- Gain a fundamental understanding of Medicaid eligibility and how to solve common problems that may arise.
- BASIC ESTATE PLANNING
9:00 - 10:00, Jay C. Abramson
- Estate Tax Review and Update
- Laws of Intestacy
- Will – Statutory Requirements and Special Provisions
- Revocable Living Trusts
- Asset Titling and Beneficiary Designations
- LEGAL CAPACITY COUNSELING AND PLANNING
10:15 - 11:15, Dianne R. Pallmerine
- Durable Power of Attorney
- Advance Directive
- HIPAA Release and Authorization
- Guardianship Overview
- Conflicts Within Documents or Among Fiduciaries
- RETIREMENT, HEALTH CARE AND HOUSING ISSUES
11:15 - 12:15, Jennifer R. Luitjens
- Social Security
- Housing Options
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- ETHICAL CONSIDERATIONS
1:15 - 2:15, Jennifer R. Luitjens
- Client Identification: Capacity and Confidentiality Issues
- Conflicts of Interest
- Competent Representation
- Guidelines for Setting Fair Fees
- LONG-TERM CARE MEDICAID (CHOICES FOR CARE PROGRAM)
2:30 - 3:30, Dianne R. Pallmerine
- Medical Eligibility
- Financial Eligibility - Assets
- Financial Eligibility - Income
- Asset Transfers
- SPECIAL NEEDS/SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS TRUSTS
3:30 - 4:30, Jay C. Abramson
- Testamentary SNTs
- Third-Party SNTs
- Self-settled SNTs (d4A)
- Pooled Trusts (d4Cs)