Stay Informed on Recent Developments in Employment Discrimination Law
Are you up to date on the changing laws affecting employment discrimination cases? Do you have the knowledge you need to handle claims that come your way? Take a closer look at workplace discrimination, retaliation and whistleblower claims – defining their scope, available remedies, points of contention and evidentiary issues. You'll gain practical tips from our experienced faculty on how to prevent and effectively litigate them. Register today!
- Learn proven strategies for preventing companies from becoming targets of discrimination, harassment or retaliation claims.
- Stay up to date on recent rulings and changing federal, state and local discrimination laws.
- Explore the potential conflicts and interaction of local, state and federal laws.
- Understand how government agencies are currently interpreting and enforcing the laws.
- Avoid add-on litigation after an initial discrimination claim or whistleblower claim is filed by knowing what constitutes retaliation.
- Effectively litigate retaliation claims by recognizing the legal issues surrounding “protected conduct,” “adverse action” and “temporal proximity.”
- Identify the available remedies for discrimination, so you can properly advise your client on action steps to take.
- Gain practical insights into initiating and responding to whistleblower claims.
NEW LAWS AND INTERPRETATIONS IN EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION
9:00 - 10:00, Robert M. Howie
- New and Proposed Laws That Affect Discrimination Claims
- ADA Amendments Act of 2008
- FMLA Amendments
- Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act
- New State Laws
- Other Developments in Employment Law
- State vs. Federal Laws – Differences and Interplay
- Recent Supreme Court Decisions and Other Applicable Case Law
BEST PRACTICES FOR AVOIDING DISCRIMINATION AND RETALIATION CLAIMS
10:15 - 11:15, Robert M. Howie
11:15 - 12:15, Jennifer S. Divine
- Scope of Retaliation Claims
- Defining “Protected Conduct”
- The Courts' Treatment of “Adverse Action” and “Temporal Proximity”
- Evidentiary Issues
- Summary Judgment
1:15 - 2:15, Jennifer S. Divine
- Whistleblower Protection Laws
- Evaluating the Merits of a Case
- Jurisdictional Considerations
- Handling Whistleblower Complaints Under Sarbanes-Oxley: Procedure, Proof and Remedy
- Defending Against Whistleblower Claims
HANDLING DISCRIMINATION CLAIMS
2:30 - 3:30, Paul M. Nordsletten
- Internal Responses to Claims Before a Charge or Lawsuit is Filed
- Responding to EEOC and Other Agency Charges
- Considering Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Handling Discrimination Lawsuits
DISABILITY DISCRIMINATION CLAIMS
3:30 - 4:30, Paul M. Nordsletten
- Understanding the New Definitions of a Disability
- Lawful Questions and Medical Examinations
- Addressing Reasonable Accommodation Issues
- Handling Misconduct
- Dealing With Direct Threat Questions