Mitigate the Risk of Student, Teacher and Administration Issues
It is imperative to keep abreast of current legal issues affecting schools in order to recognize areas of potential legal liability before problems arise. Is your knowledge up to speed? Clarify your understanding of applicable laws and gain practical advice on a wide range of legal issues and regulatory topics surrounding schools today. You'll get the latest updates on labor and employment issues, school administration liability, important trends in First Amendment and privacy issues, as well as current issues in student rights and special education. Don't miss this comprehensive program – register today!
- Get the latest updates on collective bargaining and teacher discipline and discharge issues in the school setting.
- Recognize the potential liability surrounding open records and open meetings laws.
- Find out how current cases impact school safety and the day-to-day workings of schools.
- Discover how anti-harassment/anti-bullying policies have evolved and understand the school's responsibility in curbing bullying on and off school grounds.
- Know the law to the letter regarding allowable student discipline.
- Understand the precarious balancing act between privacy rights and student searches.
- Hear the latest positions on freedom of expression and religious rights in schools.
- Strengthen your understanding of the requirements placed on schools by the ADA, IDEA and Rehabilitation Act for accommodating students with special needs.
- STUDENT ISSUES
9:00 - 10:30 and 10:45 - 11:30, Diana S. Gondek
- Student Searches
- Student Records
- Student Discipline
- Athletic Eligibility
- Anti-Harassment/Anti-Bullying Policies
- Religious Issues in the School: Constitutional Protections
- Legal Update on Student Issues
- TEACHER ISSUES
12:30 - 1:30, David M. Connelly
- Collective Bargaining
- Working With the Commonwealth Employee Relations Board
- Teacher Discipline and Discharge
- Legal Update on Teachers
- ADMINISTRATION ISSUES
1:45 - 2:30, Maureen MacFarlane
- What You Need to Know About Public Records and Open Meetings
- Employment Issues
- Working With Your School Council
- Dealing With Parents
- OVERVIEW OF SPECIAL EDUCATION AND §504
2:30 - 4:30, Mary Ellen Sowyrda
- Accommodating Students With Special Needs: Individualized Education Plans and the Requirements of the ADA, IDEA and §504 of the Rehabilitation Act
- Legal Update on Administration Issues
- Americans With Disabilities Act
- Special Education Discipline