Mitigate the Risk of Student, Teacher and Administration Issues
It is imperative to keep abreast of current legal issues affecting schools in order to recognize areas of potential legal liability before problems arise. Is your knowledge up to speed? Clarify your understanding of applicable laws and gain practical advice on a wide range of legal issues and regulatory topics surrounding schools today. You'll get the latest updates on labor and employment issues, school administration liability, important trends in First Amendment and privacy issues, as well as current issues in student rights and special education. Don't miss this comprehensive program – register today!
- Get the latest updates on collective bargaining and teacher termination issues in the school setting.
- Recognize the potential liability surrounding open records and open meetings laws.
- Find out how current cases impact school safety and the day-to-day workings of schools.
- Discover how anti-harassment/anti-bullying policies have evolved and understand the school's responsibility in curbing bullying on and off school grounds.
- Know the law to the letter regarding allowable student discipline.
- Understand the precarious balancing act between privacy rights and student searches.
- Hear the latest positions on freedom of expression and religious rights in schools – for both students and teachers.
- Strengthen your understanding of the requirements placed on schools by the ADA, IDEA and Rehabilitation Act for accommodating students with special needs.
- Examine teacher licensure rules and requirements, along with current licensing issues.
- STUDENT ISSUES
9:00 - 10:00 and 10:15 - 11:15, Charles W. Lind
- Student Searches
- Student Records
- Student Discipline
- Athletic Eligibility
- Anti-Harassment/Anti-Bullying Policies
- Religious Issues in the School: Constitutional Protections
- Legal Update on Student Issues
- TEACHER ISSUES
11:15 - 12:15 and 1:15 - 2:15, Tyler K. Firkins
- Recent Cases
- Teacher Licensure Issues
- Freedom of Expression and Public Employees - Religious, Political and Community Activity
- Discharge in Light of Recent Statutory Changes
- The Public Disclosure Act; The Public Employees Right of Privacy
- ADMINISTRATION ISSUES
2:15 - 3:15 and 3:30 - 4:30, Kevin B. Hansen
- What You Need to Know About Open Records and Open Meetings
- Executive Search Issues
- Working With Your Board of Directors
- Dealing With Parents
- Accommodating Students With Special Needs: Individualized Education Plans and the Requirements of the ADA, IDEA and §504 of the Rehabilitation Act
- Legal Update on Administration Issues