Get the Foundation You Need to Handle Title Issues
Ensuring marketable title has never been more important than in today's real estate market. Make sure you're prepared for any complications with a solid foundation of title law knowledge. At this workshop, you'll walk through the title examination process step by step with example documentation – from the mechanics of the title search to curing defects to drafting the title commitment. Don't miss this opportunity to build your skills. Register today!
- Identify defects, assess problems quickly and avoid creating unnecessary disputes by gaining a complete understanding of title examination techniques.
- Learn best practices for dealing with mechanics' liens, tax liens and other encumbrances.
- Confidently review plats and surveys, knowing what red flags to watch for.
- Avoid the potential pitfalls of incorrect legal descriptions of property.
- Understand what crucial items should be included on Schedule B-1 and B-2 of the title commitment.
- Make sure you're using endorsements to their full potential: understand how to interpret their coverage.
- Take the appropriate action to clear title quickly so foreclosed properties can go to sale on schedule.
- Conducting the Title Search and Examination
9:00 - 10:10, Eric M. Schneider
- The Mechanics of Running the Chain of Title: Public Record Search, Title Plants, Etc.
- Title Examination: Recognizing Defects
- Reviewing the Title Search
- What to Look for in Court Decrees
- Foreclosure Under Deeds of Trust
- Mechanics' Liens
- Local and State Government Liens
- Property Tax Liens
- Federal Tax Liens and Federal Judgments
- Private Party Liens
- Issues on Authority
- Drafting and Issuing a Title Commitment
10:25 - 11:30, Eric M. Schneider
- Schedule A
- Schedule B-1: Requirements of the Title Insurer
- Schedule B-2: Exceptions to Coverage
- What to Look for in Surveys, Descriptions and Plats
11:30 - 12:15 and 1:15 - 2:00, James J. Demma
- Purpose and Different Intended Uses
- Easements and Other Matters and Their Potential Impact on Title
- Boundaries and Surveys: Differences Between ALTA/ACSM Land Title Surveys, Boundary Surveys and Location Drawings
- Reading Legal Descriptions of Property – Potential Pitfalls
- Title Insurance Endorsements and Exceptions
2:00 - 3:00, Sally P. McCash
- Standard ALTA Endorsements (ALTA 2006 Forms)
- ALTA 1.06 and 2.06
- ALTA 3.06 and 3.1.06
- ALTA 4.06, 4.1.06, 5.06 and 5.1.06
- ALTA 6.06 and 6.2.06
- ALTA 7.06 and 7.2.06
- ALTA 8.1.06
- ALTA 9.1.06, 9.3.06, 9.4.06 and 9.5.06
- ALTA 10.06 and 10.1.06
- ALTA 11.06
- ALTA 12.06
- Commercial ALTA Endorsements
- ALTA 13.06 and 13.1.06
- ALTA 14.06, 14.1.06, 16.06 and 20.06
- ALTA 15.06, 15.1.06, 15.2.06 and 21.06
- ALTA 17.06 and 17.1.06, 18.06 and 18.1.06 and 19.06 and 19.1.06
- Standard Exceptions
- Special Exceptions
- Affirmative Coverage
- Curing Title Defects During Foreclosure
3:15 - 4:30, David S. Musgrave
- Indemnifying Prior Open Liens
- Resolving Tax Issues
- Open Equity Lines of Credit
- Correcting Scriveners' Errors
- Unreleased Mortgages or Mortgages Recorded Out of Order
- Unrecorded or Improperly Attested Security Deeds
- Break in the Chain of Title – Quiet Title Litigation Procedures
- Bankruptcy Notice Predating the Sale but Received After