Prevent Problems Down the Line With Superior Skills
Do you have a solid foundation of knowledge in title law? Are you confident in handling any complications that may arise? This comprehensive seminar will provide you fundamental knowledge of title law and learn how to make title problems a non-issue in your business. Our expert faculty will take you through the title examination process, so you can identify potential problems before they arise. Get the basics you need to deal with titles. Register today!
- Gain strategies and techniques for overcoming common and not so common obstacles to obtain marketable title.
- Keep your practices current with a review of current trends and developments in real estate conveyances.
- Navigate the title examination process with ease using forms, practice tips and procedural pointers from experienced practitioners.
- Don´t let common title issues derail your transaction: learn to identify and overcome title issues.
- Learn how to overcome title defects such as homestead and statutory rights, heir´s deeds, and defects in execution.
- Elements incorrect or missing in documentation? We´ll show you what you can do.
- Gain practical tips on drafting and negotiating title insurance policies.
- Learn how to handle voluntary and involuntary title transfers with ease.
- UPDATE ON OKLAHOMA TITLE AUTHORITY: STATUTES, CASES, ATTORNEY GENERAL OPINIONS AND TITLE EXAMINATION STANDARDS
9:00 - 10:30, Kraettli Q. Epperson
- Statutory Changes
- Case Law Changes
- Attorney General Opinions
- Title Examination Standards Changes
- Examining Attorneys´ Responsibilities
- Need for Standards
- Newest Changes to Title Standards
- Oklahoma Abstractors Board Regulations
- THE PROCESS OF TITLE EXAMINATION
10:45 - 12:00, Michael L. Tinney
- Forms, Practice Pointers and Procedures
- Finding and Resolving Issues Through Examination of the Records
- Defects in Execution
- Homestead and Statutory Rights
- Heir´s Deeds
- Missing or Incorrect Elements in Documents
- Old Roads and Old Subdivisions
- Examination of the Abstract of Title
- ETHICAL CONSIDERATIONS
1:00 - 2:00, Robert N. Sheets
- Attorneys´ Fees
- Conflicts of Interest Multiple Representation
- Disclosure of Defects in Property
- PREPARING THE TITLE OPINION AND ISSUES IN TITLE INSURANCE
2:00 - 2:30 and 2:45 - 3:30, Sheri L. Mueller
- Organizing and Analyzing Information
- What is Marketable Title?
- Introduction to Title Insurance
- Drafting and Negotiating Title Insurance Policies
- The New ALTA Owner´s and Lender´s Title Insurance Policies
- Availability of Expanded Coverage Policies Provided by ALTA
- The Role of the State
- Governmental Control
- TRANSFER OF TITLE
3:30 - 4:30, Robert N. Sheets
- Voluntary Transfers
- Legal Requirements for an Effective Conveyance
- Types of Deeds
- Involuntary Transfers
- Foreclosures of Mortgages or Deeds of Trusts
- Mechanics´ Lien Foreclosures
- Foreclosures of Tax and Other Liens
- Adverse Possession
- Reversion of Title
- Forfeitures of Title
- Private Covenants and Restrictions