DOT Hazardous Materials (DOT HAZMAT) Training
This course meets the requirements of DOT 49 CFR 172.202 stating that each
employer whose employees work with hazardous materials (as defined in sections
49 CFR 171 and 172) must train each of its hazmat employees. "Hazmat employees"
include those who prepare the packages for shipping, prepare, sign or review the
paperwork, load trucks, drive the vehicles or unload or receive the hazardous
A hazmat employee must be trained in the requirements of hazardous materials
(generally: identification, classification, labeling, marking, placarding,
packaging, etc.) before performing the job that applies to that function. Hazmat
training is required within 90-days for new employees; it must be repeated every
three years and periodically as rules change.
Who Should Attend?
Hazmat employees who must assure compliance with the U.S. DOT hazardous
materials regulations, who read and interpret hazmat rules, sign shipping
papers/EPA's hazardous waste manifests, prepare and offer materials for
transport, or oversee the activities of other hazmat employees.
- 49 CFR structure, HMR applicability, key terms
- DOT authority, inspections, fines and penalties
- Hazmat classification and priority of hazard classes
- How to use the 172.101 Hazardous Materials Table
- Selecting the correct “proper” shipping name
- Hazmat packaging and package specification
- Communicating hazards: marking, labeling, placards
- Hazmat shipping papers and the shipper's certification
- Incidents, emergencies, and cargo security plans
- Loading, unloading, and hazmat segregation issues
- Recordkeeping and training mandates
Training Course Times: 8:00am - 4:30pm
Number of Days: 1
Continuing Education Units (CEUs): .8
After the completion of any seminar, students will receive 0.8 CEUs for each day of the seminar. Attendees will also receive a personalized Certificate of Completion. Please check with your licensing board or NTT as to applicability.
NTT, Inc. reserves a block of rooms at the host hotel for your convenience. BOOK EARLY - This block of rooms will be released back to the hotel approximately 30 days from the seminar start date. NTT will send you complete hotel information the same day we receive your registration. Please make reservations directly with the hotel, and be sure to identify yourself as being with the NTT group to take advantage of any discounts that may have been negotiated. Hotel accommodations are not included in the seminar fee and are not guaranteed with your registration.