Advanced Medicaid and Medicare Benefits Update Seminar
Troubleshoot the Most Complex Areas of Social Security Benefits with Our Experts
Elder law and disability practice is fraught with procedural complexities and intricate document details. Our experienced faculty will tackle the toughest aspects of Medicaid and SSD/SSI law to help you ensure your clients receive the benefits they need. This course takes a multi-disciplinary approach to examine how various benefits interact and affect the financial stability of the recipient. Gain practical tips for Medicaid and Medicare hearings and appeals and find out how the courts have been shaping the practice. Register today!
- Join your esteemed colleagues for an engaging discussion of current law and procedure and gain from the shared experience.
- Find out how the courts and federal administration view the future of Social Security and what it means for your practice.
- Know the procedural specifics of re-opening old applications and what red flags to look out for.
- Power up your hearing presentation techniques with tips from the pros.
- Make the best use of vocational experts to maximize your clients' benefits.
- Review the appeals procedure for Medicare, Medicaid, SSD and SSI and find out what traps to avoid.
- Structure your clients' cash flow and assets to allow enough flexibility not to jeopardize their benefits eligibility.
Complex Issues in Medicaid
9:00 - 10:30, Jeanette Grabie
- Living with DRA, ARRA and Other Legislative Changes
- Medicaid Premiums and Cost-Sharing Rule
- Hearing Strategies
- When a Client's Need for Long-Term Care Increases
- Estate Recovery and Undue Hardship Waivers
Overcoming Challenges in Medicare Planning
10:45 - 12:00, Sandra N. Busell
- PPACA and Other Legislative and Case Law Updates
- Hearing Strategies
- Exceptions and Appeals
- Supplemental Needs Trusts and the Role of Guardianships
Social Security Disability and Supplemental Security Income
1:00 - 2:15, Steven A. Kass
- State and Federal Regulatory and Case Law Update
- Res Judicata and Re-Opening Old Applications
- Dating the Injury
- Determining and Proving Degree of Functional Capacity
- Maximizing Vocational Testimony in Direct and Cross-Examination
- The Effect of SSD/SSI Back Benefits Receipt on Medicaid Eligibility
- POMS (Programs Operations Manual System)
- SSI Appeals
- SSD Appeals
- Special Considerations for Widows and Disabled Adult Children
- When the Client Fails to Follow Prescribed Medical Treatment
- How Divorce Affects Public Benefits
2:30 - 3:30, Steven A. Kass
- Clients with Diminished Mental Capacity
- Conflicts of Interest When Working with Couples
- Managing Family Conflicts
- Disclosure of Evidence Unfavorable to Your Client
Interplay of Government Benefits and Injury Settlements
3:30 - 4:30, Sean Patrick Dwyer
- Medicare Secondary Payer Act
- Medicare Set-Asides
- Who Gets Paid First: Workers' Comp or Social Security Attorney?
- Structuring Benefits Distributions Not to Interfere with any Other Cash Inflow
- Income Only Trusts (Forms, Administration, Closing)
- Preventing and Fixing Transfers without Fair Consideration