Everyone who is involved with worker's disability compensation claims must be aware of the numerous and often complex issues associated with handling them. Knowing these issues can mean the difference between a successful outcome or a disaster. There are constant changes in the worker's disability compensation case law, and this seminar will be advantageous to those who handle or supervise the program for their company worker's disability compensation.
Topics to be discussed:
- What Is New In Michigan Worker's Disability Compensation From The Defense And Plaintiff's Standpoint
- Eliminating Potential Compensation Claims In The Initial Interview Process
- The Independent Vocational Evaluation
- Termination Of Employees Receiving Benefits
9:00 a.m. - 9:10 a.m.
9:10 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
II. What's New In Michigan Worker's Disability Compensation From The Plaintiff's
A. New Case Law
B. Use Of Plaintiff's Rehabilitation Evaluations At Trial
1. Why And When They Are Used
C. Choosing An Appropriate Plaintiff's IME
10:15 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
10:30 a.m. - 11:35 a.m.
III. What's New In Michigan Worker's Disability Compensation From The Defense
A. Recent Cases And What They Mean To You
1. Redefining Disability – Sington v. Chrysler
2. Pre-Existing Non-Work-Related Conditions (Arthritis) Rakestraw v. General Dynamics
3. Including New Cases Regarding Use Of Vocational Rehabilitation Evaluations
B. Bureau Changes And Your Company
1. New Director And Magistrates
2. Changes In Appellate Commission
3. New Procedures
11:35 a.m. - 12:35 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
12:35 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.
IV. Eliminating Potential Compensation Claims In The Initial Interview Process
A. Job Application Form, A Valuable Tool
B. Purpose Of A Written Job Description
C. Questions You Can Legally Ask Job Applicants
D. Post Offer, Pre-Employment Physical Examinations And Drug Screens
1:45 p.m. - 2:55 p.m.
V. The Independent Vocational Evaluation
A. What Is It And When Is It Used?
B. What Information Is Needed From:
1. The Employer
2. The Compensation Carrier
3. The Claimant
C. Weight Given To Independent Medical Evaluations Of;
D. Weight Given To Medical Records Of Treating Physicians And Compared To Independent Medical Evaluators
E. Independent Vocational Evaluations And New Supreme Court Rulings
2:55 p.m. - 3:10 p.m.
3:10 p.m. - 4:20 p.m.
VI. Termination Of Employees Receiving Or Applying For Worker's Disability Compensation Benefits
A. Does An Employer Have The Right To Terminate
1. Limitations On That Right
B. Determining Whether You Want To Terminate
C. Factors To Be Considered In Whether Or Not To Terminate
D. Potential Consequences Of Termination
4:20 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VII. Question And Answers