In this seminar, the speakers will discuss the seven areas of construction law that should be understood by all construction professionals: the Contractors License Law, changes and extras, scheduling and delay, mechanics liens, public contracts, construction insurance, and construction defects. This is a survey course and presentations will be limited to the basic and most vital elements of each selected topic. A detailed outline, to be distributed at the seminar, will serve as a convenient reference at the office.
- How to protect your accounts receivable
- How to present delay claims - and how to avoid them
- How to recognize and enforce rights against insurance companies and bonding companies
- How to process changes and claims for extras - and how to avoid them
- How to minimize exposure to construction defect claims
- The attendee will be able to discuss contractors license law.
- The attendee will be able to identify owner's and contractor's damages for delay.
- The attendee will be able to review public contracts.
9:00 a.m. - 9:10 a.m.
9:10 a.m. - 9:50 a.m.
II. Contractors License Law
A. Scope Of The Contractors License Requirements
B. General Engineering Contractor-The A License
C. Building Contractor-The B License
D. Specialty Contractors
E. Construction Manager
F. Compensation Denied To The Unlicensed
G. Obligation Of Unlicensed To Disgorge
H. Exemptions For Architects And Engineers
9:50 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
III. Changes And Extras
A. Processing Changes
B. Collecting For Extra Work
C. Avoiding Extras
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
10:45 a.m. - 11:25 a.m.
IV. Scheduling And Delay
A. CPM, PERT
B. Owner's Damages For Delay
C. Contractor's Damages For Delay
11:25 a.m. - 12:05 p.m.
V. Mechanics Liens, Stop
Notices, And Payment Bonds
A. Claimants Who Are Entitled To Mechanics Lien Rights
B. Time Limits And Procedures Mechanics Liens
C. Time Limits And Procedures Stop Notices
D. Time Limits And Procedures Payment Bonds
F. Avoiding Claims
G. Releases And Defenses
12:05 p.m. - 1:05 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:05 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.
VI. Public Contracts
A. Competitive Bidding
B. Required And Prohibitive Contract Clauses
D. Total Cost Theory
E. Prompt Payment Requirements
1:45 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
A. Liability Insurance
4. Duty To Defend
B. Property Insurance
3. Waiver Of Subrogation
C. Performance And Payment Bonds
2:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
2:45 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VIII. Construction Defect Litigation
A. Construction Defects
B. The Economic Loss Defense
D. SB 800 The 'Fix-it' Bill