Participants will gain and understand information available in the public domain concerning the owner and/or operator of commercial trucks. The session also will review the coverage forms providing insurance for the owner and/or operator of commercial trucks. Lastly, the participant will better understand the financial responsibilities imposed on the owner and/or operator of commercial trucks and how these requirements are met.
- Recognize safety and operating standards for trucks
- Analyze trucking insurance coverages
- Recognize and preserve bad faith case
- Ethical considerations from a legal standpoint
- The attendee will be able to discuss safety and operating standards the federal government imposes on users of large trucks.
- The attendee will be able to identify the differences between first and third party bad faith.
- The attendee will be able to review attorney and adjuster ethics.
9:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. (Break 10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.)
I. Larger Truck Accident Considerations
A. A Big Truck Blowing Black Smoke Is Involved In An Accident
B. Investigate To Determine Negligence And Determine Coverage (Beyond What The Driver Did And What Others Saw)
1. Safety And Operating Standards The Federal Government Imposes On Users Of 'Large' Trucks
2. Information On The Web About Past Activities Of The Trucking Company Operating The Truck
3. Possible Information Contained In The Equipment Of The Truck
C. After The Accident Has Been Analyzed, Where Is The Coverage?
1. Coverage Possibilities
a. Policy Covering The Truck
b. Policy Covering The Company The Trucker Was Hauling For
c. State And Federal Government Financial Standards Imposed On Users Of Large Trucks
12:15 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:15 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
II. Bad Faith
B. Discussion Of Distinctions Between 1st And 3rd Party Bad Faith
C. Statutory Authorities For Claims
D. Civil Remedy Notices
E. Available Remedies
2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
III. Ethical Considerations
A. Attorney Ethics
1. Independent Professional Judgment Of Defense Counsel
2. Statement Of Insured Client's Rights
3. Tripartite Relationship
B. Adjuster Ethics
C. Unauthorized Entities