This one-day goes beyond the theory and case studies to give you hands-on experience with the process of designing and deploying strategy maps and balanced scorecards. The goal of this course is to allow you to participate in, and learn the process of, building a balanced scorecard with a strategy map for a hypothetical company. As you participate, you will deepen your understanding of the key concepts and best practices of this powerful methodology of strategic performance management.
Most of your time will be spent in a small group of 4 to 6 people, guided by an experienced coach, so you will be actively engaged in a rich learning environment. We compress the process of developing a strategy map and scorecard into several interactive exercises that let you experience each step of the process that you may eventually take with your own organization. By taking this accelerated journey in a hypothetical company, you can focus on the principles and the process without getting bogged down in the specific details of your own organization. Later when you take this journey with your own organization, you'll be more confident and effective because you'll have completed a high-level 'fly-over' of the process, so you'll know what to expect.
- Work through a realistic business scenario that almost everyone can relate to and actively participate in. The same example is used throughout the workshop.
- Half of the small groups will work on one strategy and half will work on a different strategy-highlighting how different the objectives, measures and initiatives will be if they are tied to the strategy.
- Each step will include a brief training on the process, principles and tools for that step in the process, and then participants will break down into small groups for a hands-on exercise. Everyone gathers together at the end of each hands-on exercise to share lessons learned and to discuss the 'pre-baked' textbook solution that will be used as the basis for the next module.
- The attendee will be able to discuss key principles of balanced scorecard methodology.
- The attendee will be able to learn tools for describing and refining a strategy.
- The attendee will be able to define strategic measures and targets.
8:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
I. Introduction And Course Overview
A. Key Principles Of The Balanced Scorecard Methodology
B. The Strategy Map And Scorecard Development Process
C. Introduction To The Hypothetical Case Study
D. Tools For Refining And Communicating An Organization's Strategy
10:00 a.m. - 10:10 a.m.
10:10 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
II. Creating Linked Strategic Objectives
A. Hands-On Exercise #1: Developing Objective Raw Material
B. Hands-On Exercise #2: Refining The Raw Material Into Linked Objectives
C. Small Group Presentations
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
III. Completing The Draft Strategy Map
A. Full Class Exercise: Integrating Strategic Themes Into A Draft Strategy Map
B. Demonstration: Using Technology To Streamline Scorecard And Strategy Map Development
1:30 p.m. - 2:40 p.m.
IV. Defining Strategic Measures And Targets
A. Guidance On Creating Strategic Measures
B. Hands-On Exercise #3: Creating Strategic Measures
C. Guidance On Defining Targets And Color Bands
D. Hands-On Exercise #4: Defining Targets And Color Bands
2:40 p.m. - 2:50 p.m.
2:50 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
V. Developing And Prioritizing Strategic Initiatives
A. Discussion Of Strategic Initiatives
B. Hands-On Exercise #5: Developing And Prioritizing Strategic Initiatives
C. Using Technology To Manage Strategic Initiatives
3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VI. Cascading And Automation Of Balanced Scorecards
A. The Process Of Cascading By Cause And Effect
B. Top-Down (Strategy-Centric) versus Bottom-Up (Data Centric) Scorecard Development
C. Incremental Automation And Reporting Integration
D. Viewing A Completed, Automated Balanced Scorecard