Developing and maintaining business records are extremely important components of any organization's operations. Not only does recordkeeping involve many practical issues, but it is also governed by numerous regulations and legal requirements arising in the areas of labor and employment law, business law and environmental law.
This program will cover a variety of recordkeeping topics related to several different areas of state and federal law and will be presented by an experienced faculty who will give both legal insight and practical solutions for handling recordkeeping issues.
- How to interview and hire employees lawfully
- How to keep your employee handbook from becoming an implied contract of employment
- How to conduct an effective investigation and avoid associated legal liability
- How to unravel the intricacies of OSHA and workers' compensation recordkeeping
- How to deal with HIPAA and COBRA, including associated records
- The attendee will be able to discuss effective and lawful documentation under a variety of laws (including HIPAA, COBRA, OSHA, state law, etc.).
- The attendee will be able to identify lawful handbook and document disclaimers.
- The attendee will be able to review proper documentation and recordkeeping during investigations.
8:30 a.m. - 9:40 a.m.
C. Pre-Employment Tests/Inquiries
D. Background/Credit Checks
E. Fair Credit Reporting Act
9:40 a.m. - 9:50 a.m.
9:50 a.m. - 11:10 a.m.
II. Investigations/Employee Discipline
A. Effective Use Of Evaluation
B. Disciplining Employees
C. Proper Documentation Of Discipline/Discharge
D. Conducting Internal Investigations
11:10 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
III. Policies And Procedures
A. South Carolina's New Handbook Law
B. Employment At Will
C. General Policy Requirements And Guidelines
D. Contents Of Personnel Files
12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:30 p.m. - 2:40 p.m.
IV. Employee Safety And Health
A. OSHA Recordkeeping Requirements
B. Workers' Compensation Requirements
2:40 p.m. - 2:50 p.m.
2:50 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
V. Employee Benefits
A. Basic HIPAA Requirements
D. Various Tax Laws
4:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
VI. Question And Answer Session