Bullying is NOT a natural part of growing up. Its harmful effects can last well into adulthood - for the bully, for the victim and for the bystanders. In this seminar you will learn the underlying causes of social aggression and bullying. You will find out how unprovoked aggression has permeated our society and why the problem continues to grow. You will also learn strategies and techniques to reduce and prevent bullying in your school, workplace, home and community.
- Why the issue of bullying has come to the attention of schools, governments, law enforcement and employers
- Surprising facts about what causes and sustains bullying behavior, and how you may be unwittingly encouraging it
- Ways to help de-escalate bully-victim interaction
- Why punishment is often the least effective way to curb bullying, and what methods work better
- Ideas for promoting respect and safety in your school, workplace, home and community
- The attendee will be able to recognize signs of bullying.
- The attendee will be able to discuss effective ways to stop and prevent bullying.
- The attendee will be able to determine myths and facts about bullying.
8:30 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.
8:45 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
II. The Bullying Problem: Scope And Impact
A. Bullying Poisons Schools, Homes, Work Settings And Communities
B. Bullying Affects Everyone, Not Just The Intended Victims
C. Societal Influences And Effects
9:45 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
III. Bullying: Definitions And Description
A. Bullying vs. Anger vs. Aggression
B. Myths And Facts About Bullying
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
10:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
IV. Bullies And Victims
A. Roles Of Heredity And Environment
B. What Makes Bullies Tick? Emotional Underpinnings Of Unprovoked Aggression
1. Power, Self-Esteem And Anger
2. Cognitive Distortions
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
V. Possible Indicators Of Bullying
A. Signs That A Child May Be A Victim
B. Signs That A Child May Be A Bully
C. Signs Of Bullying In The Workplace
D. Signs Of Bullying In The Home
1:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
VI. Effective Interventions To Stop And Prevent Bullying
A. Interventions With Victims
B. Interventions With Bullies
C. Creating Environments Of Respect And Safety
D. Teaching And Practicing Resilience
2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
3:00 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
VII. Anti-Bullying Programs
3:45 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
VIII. Wrap Up: Looking Ahead To The Future