Students diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome or high-functioning autism have complex profiles and needs that are not often met by standard intervention methods. Schools have had a difficult time meeting the needs of these students due to dramatic increases in incidence rates and the lack of highly trained personnel in this area. This seminar is designed to provide an overview of the needs of students with autism, and provide a description of effective programming and specific intervention strategies. A model for preparing schools to meet the needs of these students will also be provided.
- Overview of Asperger Syndrome and high-functioning autism
- Cognitive, language and social characteristics
- Educational planning and strategies
- Preparing staff and peers to intervene
- Preparing schools to meet the challenge of effective education
- The attendee will be able to identify the needs of students with Asperger Syndrome and high-functioning autism.
- The attendee will be able to identify educational strategies to intervene with specific issues.
- The attendee will be able to discuss and articulate a model for preparing schools to address the complex needs of these students.
9:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
I. Characteristics Of Individuals With Asperger Syndrome And High-
A. Developmental Trajectory
B. Cognitive Characteristics
C. Language Issues
D. Social Skill Issues
E. Assessment Needs And Issues
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
10:45 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
II. Components Of Comprehensive Educational Intervention
A. Addressing Related Service Needs
B. Addressing Special Education Needs
C. Addressing Family Needs
11:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
III. Effective Educational Intervention
A. Addressing Language Issues
12:15 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.
Lunch (On Your Own)
1:15 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
III. Effective Educational Intervention (Continued)
B. Addressing Academic Issues
C. Positive Behavior Support
D. Addressing Social Skill Needs
E. Supporting Staff And Peers In Intervention
3:00 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
3:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
IV. Preparing Schools To Meet The Needs
A. Building Teacher Capacity
B. Effective Environments
C. Progress Monitoring