A Comprehensive, Hands-On Approach to Divorce Practice
Can you navigate the divorce process with ease? Are you looking for practice pointers, best practices and sample forms to build your divorce practice? Our veteran faculty will provide you with a solid foundation and real-world tips for handling each key step of a divorce case. Start the case off on the right foot, streamline your motion practice, pick up discovery tools, get insights on valuing/dividing marital property and more. Don't miss this fast-paced, information-packed program - register today!
- Go beyond the textbook - gain real-life insights from attorneys who have mastered their craft.
- Receive sample pleadings, discovery requests, agreements, motions, checklists and other documents.
- Leave no stone unturned: explore methods for uncovering undisclosed assets and liabilities.
- Learn how to properly use divorce experts and gain pointers on examining them.
- Understand the core mechanics of valuing and dividing different types of marital assets.
- Help clients work out and calculate parental responsibility, parenting time and support.
- Get practical tips for navigating divorce settlements and trials.
- CLIENT INTAKE AND PRELIMINARY STEPS
9:00 - 9:45, Written and presented by Donna L. Buttler in New Haven and Hartford.
- Client Interview and Initial Analysis
- Answers to Common Client Questions
- Process Selection and Informed Consent
- Venue and Jurisdiction Considerations
- Pleadings and Responses (w/Samples)
- Sample Intake Form
- Divorce Law Checklist
- MOTIONS IN DIVORCE (WITH SAMPLES)
9:45 - 10:30, Written and presented by Donna L. Butler in New Haven and Hartford.
- Key Considerations
- Procedures for Making and Responding to Motions
- Protective Orders
- Motions for Temporary Orders (Support, Custody, etc.) - With Supporting Documentation
- Effective Use of Discovery and Other Pre-Trial Motions
- NEGOTIATING THE FINAL SETTLEMENT AND TRIAL
10:45 - 11:30, Written and presented by Laurie B. Giles in New Haven and Hartford.
- Negotiating and Drafting the Marital Settlement Agreement (w/Sample)
- Hearings/Settlement Conferences
- Pre-Trial Preparation
- Trial Process and Procedure
- Getting Your Evidence Admitted
- Practical Trial Pointers
- Preparing/Reviewing the Final Judgment (w/Sample)
- Post-Divorce Wrap-Up
- Sample Checklists
- EXPERTS IN DIVORCE
11:30 - 12:15, Written and presented by Donna L. Butler in New Haven and Hartford.
- Divorce Experts: What They do, When and How to Use Them
- Working with Experts and Preparing Them for Testimony (w/Checklists)
- Direct and Cross Examination - Quick Tips and Sample Questions
- Accountants and Appraisers
- Business Valuators
- Custody Evaluators, Mental Health Experts, Guardians Ad Litem
- Financial Planners
- Vocational Experts
- Medical Experts
- VALUING AND DIVIDING ASSETS
1:15 - 2:00, Written and presented by Carla A. Barone in New Haven and Hartford.
- Tracing Commingled/Transmuted Assets
- Real Property
- QDROs and Retirement Plans
- Stock Options
- Business Valuations
- Trust Valuations
- Intangible Property
- Life and Health Insurance
- Debt, Foreclosure and Bankruptcy
- Common Mistakes in Dividing Assets
- Settlement Traps to Avoid
- Basic Tax Issues to be Aware Of
- CUSTODY, VISITATION AND SUPPORT: A PRACTICAL GUIDE
2:00 - 2:30, Written and presented by Tyler Raymond in New Haven and Hartford.
- Custody Options, Procedures and Forms
- Tips for Negotiating Child Custody and Visitation
- Sample Parenting Plan
- Child Support Considerations, Calculations, Guideline Worksheet, Deviations
- Spousal Support Considerations, Calculations, Deviations
- DISCOVERY PROCEDURE AND FINDING HIDDEN ASSETS
2:45 - 3:30, Written and presented by Tyler Raymond in New Haven and Hartford.
- Disclosure Requirements
- Timing and Scope of Discovery
- Effective Interrogatories, Requests for Production, Requests for Admissions
- Responses and Objections
- Subpoenas to Banks, Phone Companies, Social Media Companies, etc.
- Depositions in Divorce
- Social Media, Email, Smartphone Evidence, etc.
- Finding Undisclosed/Hidden Assets: Tips and Techniques
- Sample Discovery Requests and Checklists
- LEGAL ETHICS
3:30 - 4:30, Written and presented by Laurie B. Giles in New Haven and Hartford.
- Conflicts of Interest Checks
- Declining Representation
- Attorneys' Fees
- Setting Clear Expectations with Clients
- Emails and Confidentiality
- Dealing with a Pro Se Litigant
Agendas and Speakers may differ slightly depending on the location. Please e-mail or call a representative to obtain an agenda for a particular location.