Improve Your Ability to Achieve Positive Results
Litigating family law cases is stressful and emotional for all parties involved. The outcome of these cases depends upon the result of effective presentation of your client´s situation. Let us help you to learn how to successfully prepare a case in order to reduce your client´s anxiety about the litigation process and provide for a smooth resolution of the case.
Learn how to get the information you need in the initial interview to effectively advise your client on the case. Determine how to help your client face realistic expectations in custody matters. Identify how to litigate the enforceability of premarital agreements. You´ll discover constructive ways to prepare for court or mediation. Come away with practical methods for guiding your case to a successful conclusion.
Take your skills to the next level!
- Examine the "big three:" custody, asset division and support
- Take a look at the issues that are the catalysts for conflict
- Don´t forget the paperwork! Find out how to put together a retainer agreement
- Understand the importance of memorializing your advice to the file
- Target ways to prepare your client for the realities of custody matters
- Discuss how you can help your client act responsibly when it comes to custody arrangements
- Get savvy tips for interpreting premarital agreements to your client´s advantage
- Discuss the settlement vs. litigation question
- Come away with sophisticated techniques for presenting your case to the judge
- INITIAL INTERVIEW, OVERVIEW, CONTROL AND FOCUS
9:00 - 10:00
- The Initial Interview
- Getting the Information
- Getting the Client´s Objectives
- Finding Out Why the Marriage is Failing
- The Three Big Issues
- Assets/Liabilities Division
- Support Obligations and Guidelines
- Analyzing and Advising
- How Do Custody, Assets and Support Work Out?
- What Are the Issues That Will Be in Conflict?
- How Long Will It Take?
- How Much Will It Cost?
- Providing a Retainer Agreement
- Memorializing Your Advice to the File and Client
- CUSTODY -- FANTASY AND REALISM
10:15 - 11:15
- The Problem of Realistic and Unrealistic Expectations in Custody Matters
- The Statutory Criteria and the Real Criteria that Judges Apply
- Prejudices, Foul-ups and Other Cruel Realities of the Courtroom
- Helping the Client to Accept Realistic Goals
- Helping the Client to Act Responsibly
- LITIGATING THE ENFORCEABILITY OF PREMARITAL AGREEMENTS
11:15 - 12:15
- How Circumstances Surrounding the Execution of an Agreement Bear on its Enforceability
- How the Courts Have Construed the Meaning of Agreements
- Interpreting Them to Your Client´s Advantage
- How to Get Them Set Aside
- ETHICAL PERILS IN DIVORCE PRACTICE
1:15 - 2:15
- Client Relations, Client Control and Client Dishonesty
- Disqualification of and Withdrawal by Counsel
- The Ethics of Fees
- Handling an Ethics Complaint/Grievance
- PREPARING FOR COURT/MEDIATION
2:15 - 3:15
- Planning Strategy With Your Client; Setting Realistic Goals
- Effective Discovery
- Working With Guardian Ad Litem and Expert Witnesses Prior to Trial
- Questions: To Settle or To Litigate?
- Preparing Your Client for Trial/Mediation
- LITIGATION TECHNIQUES -- PRESENTING YOUR CASE TO THE JUDGE
3:30 - 4:30
- Temporary Hearings
- Effective Use of Financial Affidavits: Yours and Theirs
- Effective Presentation of Evidence
- Expert Witnesses
- Appellate Process in Family Law
Agendas and Speakers may differ slightly depending on the location. Please e-mail or call a representative to obtain an agenda for a particular location.