Reach a Civil Litigation Resolution as Quickly as Possible – With Insight From the Bench
When was the last time that you had an easy and convenient way to spend a day with the judges you come before – and hear their thoughts on the law, on legal practices and on personal likes and dislikes in their courtrooms? This unique program has been designed to give you the chance to interact directly with your local civil litigation judges – and ask them the questions that are on your mind.
You'll gain insights that will help you to customize your presentation to each judge's specific likes and dislikes, discuss what juries think about trial attorneys – and learn ways to reconcile them with the fact that they are leaving their normal lives to help decide your cases. Receive practical suggestions on how you can enhance your courtroom performance, and client representation, from the most qualified sources - your judges. Take this day to listen, learn and get the answers to the questions that you have ever wanted the chance to ask a civil court judge!
- Learn what the judges prefer at case management and pretrial conferences.
- Be confident that you're correctly handling motion hearings and motions for summary judgment.
- Utilize discovery practices that are effective and ethical.
- Learn tips and tricks to implement in your next set of voir dire questions.
- Identify the most common witness and evidence errors that judges hope you'll avoid.
- Have the ability to ask any question and hear an answer from each panel judge.
AM Session 9:00 – 12:00
- CASE MANAGEMENT AND PRETRIAL CONFERENCES
- Case Management
- Tips for a Productive Settlement Conference
- Mistakes to Avoid at the Pretrial Conference
- SCHEDULING ORDERS
- EFFECTIVE AND INEFFECTIVE DISCOVERY PRACTICES
- Be Careful What You Object To
- Discovery Issues Judges Should Never Hear
- The Emerging World of E-Discovery
- Getting Accurate Answers From Your Clients
- MOTION HEARING - WHEN, WHY, AND HOW?
- Discovery Disputes
- Filing Dispositive Motions
- Motions in Limine
- JUDGES VIEW ON TECHNOLOGY IN THE COURT ROOM
- What Technology Is Available?
- Advantages/Disadvantages of High Tech Presentation
- Evidentiary Issues Relative to the Use of Technology in the Courtroom
PM Session 1:00 – 4:30
- VOIR DIRE: DO'S AND DON'TS
- TRIAL PRACTICE TIPS IN CIVIL COURT
- How to be "Trial Ready"
- Jury Instructions Beyond the Standard List
- The Value of a Good Appearance
- WITNESSES AND EVIDENCE: MISTAKES TO AVOID
- How a Witness Ruins a "Good" Case
- Introducing Evidence at Trial
- The Proper Way to Object in Court
- Learning When Not to Object
- When is a Side Bar Appropriate?
- OPENING STATEMENTS AND CLOSING ARGUMENTS
- What is an Opening Statement?
- The Significance of an Opening Statement
- Effective Closing Argument Strategies
- Objecting During Argument